Bold 9000 or Curve 8xxx?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Jan 15, 2010.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So i'm being seriously nudged by a close friend to join the Berry wagon and this person really wants me to get one to the point that they were about to buy one till i stopped them in their tracks (not comfortable receiving stuff from people). Now the person is offering to pay half of the cost.

Im now considering getting one as a supplementary device and my budget allows for either a new Bold 9000 or any of the Curve series. I have my eye on the Bold because of the 3G and GPS both of which are essential to my usage pattern but wanted to find out people's thoughts in case there are any issues i should be aware of. I know its an Apple forum but i also know a lot of users are BB users

Help me decide

2. dankybear macrumors regular

3. mtc595 macrumors newbie

Just got a Bold 9700 to replace my two year old Curve 8xxx (Work phone)

Like the Bold much better. It's about the same size, but the battery life is better than the Curve. Good size and weight and the screen is very easy to read.

It's no iPhone, but its a company phone, so I didn't really have a choice.

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

5. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Make sure to get the Bold 9700. I believe it's also referred to as the "Bold 2". Last time I checked it was the same price as the older Bold 9000 (original Bold), but has more RAM and a faster processor. Much nicer size/shape than the original Bold as well.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Curve 8530 (sprint, verizon) has 3g and gps. The 8520 (AT&T, t-mo) may as well; I'm not sure.

Though the 9000 does have the nicest physical keyboard ever on a phone.

Just don't get a curve 8300 series, or even an 8900. Definitely get something with 3g.

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

For the most part yes but found a business who has the 9000 £130 cheaper than the new Bold i.e. for the price of a curve.

Acknowledged

8. Andy348 macrumors 6502

It's worth paying more money for the 9700 vs 9000. The RAM on a BlackBerry is also used for storing applications. The 9000 only comes with 128MB of RAM, which means with some texts, emails, photos (even on an external card!) and 4-5 applications, you could go under 20MB free file memory. This means you'll need to be doing a battery pull once every 1-2 days in order to keep your phone running fast. The 9700, with 256MB of RAM doesn't have this problem. With 20 applications, it'll run at somewhere around 130mb free.

9. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I just looked up the specs and it seems you're right. The phones also looks chunky compared to other blackberrys. The 9700 seems to be a batter but I'd be stretching to pay for it. Hmmm...decisions decisions

10. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Make a decision yet? :p

11. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

85% sure that i'm still gonna go for the Bold 9000 over the Curves. The 8520 is too plasticky/fragile for me and the 8900 is about to be replaced hence i'll suffer a little buyers remorse eventually.

I'd love to get the 9700 but i can't justify the extra £££ needed for it...seeing as it won't be my primary phone anyway and the 9000 still has 97% of the perks of the 9700.

12. glowfly macrumors member

BOLD is much better..
    its got the looks, the features and its more powerful

BUT IPHONE Rocks.. haha

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If money is so tight, why are you getting a second smartphone at all? I mean, it's your money so spend it how you want... but what's the point of this purchase in the first place?

14. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I'm just not keen on splurging £400 on a phone i'll only use for BlackBerry Messaging and pretty much nothing else (bells and whistles don't matter). It just seems like a waste to me.

If i was replacing my iPhone completely then sure i'd go all out but i'm not, i'm only getting one so the people around me (70% BB users) can stop nagging about not being able to reach me after running out of allowances on their regular tariffs...pleading i get a BlackBerry

15. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

16. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Cheers

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In terms of messaging, the Blackberry is the best.

Personally I have a Bold 9700 just for emails. Definitely worth it.

@OP: If you're in the US and you happen to decide on the 9700 be careful what you're buying because there is a T-Mobile version (which has the T-Mobile 3G bands and UMA calling) and an AT&T version (which has only the AT&T 3G bands). Of course for the 9000 there is only one model.

18. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Go for the Bold 9000! GPS is essential in this day and age :D

Habitus :apple: