Bollywood anyone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by obeygiant, Jul 4, 2010.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I just got the film Om Shanti Om from Netflix. My wife and I were really entertained. The music and dancing were very very good, and the story was cute and funny. The lead actress, Deepika Padukone, was very beautiful.

Anyone else discovered these films?

Here is a clip from the main dance number. Be sure to watch it 720 or 1080. :) Warning! May be extremely addictive lol.

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Much of the Bollywood genre is like that: light-hearted storylines with truckloads of (sometimes gratuitous) music and choreography-- feature-length music videos, in a sense, and a nice bit of escapism. "Hey, my best friend managed to avoid getting fired! Let's DANCE!" :D At any given time, more than half the songs on Top 100 music lists in India are from movie soundtracks, and both the movies and the soundtracks are big money makers in India, Pakistan and the UK.

Newer Bollywood films occasionally incorporate Western music styles, especially house/club music, into their dance numbers. One shining example of this is Dil Chahta Hai, from 2001. I have its song "Kohi Kahe Kehta Rahe" on my iPod.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. They're not rubbish films but I don't really like stuff like that.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Khal Nayak...

Choli Ke Peeche? :D (you won't be able to get this song out of your head, ever)

Honestly, Bollywood is a bit hit or miss for me, and there's a lot of miss. Sanjay Dutt films are usually a laugh though.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm Indian...so since my parents are always watching Indian movies, I see em every now and then. I actually like a few movies/songs too, but I definitely prefer western music/movies.

6. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I love Bollywood films.

Recently, I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of Alluda Majaka.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Few things are hotter than good looking Indian women, but I just can't get into musical numbers - Bollywood or otherwise.

8. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thats crazy! Did you see those horses bite the dust at 2:30?

But does "Bollywood" refer just to the musical style Indian films or to their entire film industry? I actually broke down and got the soundtrack of the movie I mentioned earlier. I'm getting sucked in!

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

My favorite parts of that clip are the sliding scene at 2:00 and the magically regenerating glass.

According to Wikipedia, Bollywood refers to the Hindia film industry. Since Alluda Majaka is Telegu, I suppose it's not Bollywood. But I've never seen an Indian film without singing in it! :D

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai is great! I don't speak Hindi (or any other Indian language), but still really enjoy the movies.

11. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I once had a neighbour who lived on these things
    they were on their tv when ever they were home and awake to watch it
    after a while it all blended into noise
    and the helium balloon voices of the female singers really really get annoying after hour 6 or so.

That being said I do like some of the punjabi ones and bhanghra ,
    the best though was a live version of the dance face off in one of the festivals last year.

12. Oneness macrumors regular

Have to admit that I love Bollywood also.
    Yes, they can be cheesy at times, but what really attracts me is that everyone in these films seem to be having the time of their life. Unlike Hollywood where so many films just seem to be made for the sake of making a film and the result is a film that has no life or spark to it.
    Plus, the women are beautiful. The men are charismatic. And even the serious ones are generally funny.

And no, not all Indian films are Bollywood. Bollywood refers to the film industry that is centered in Mumbai. There is a thriving film center in Tamil (sp?) which is southern India (Chennai) and I think there is one in eastern India around Bangladesh.

13. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I have a hunch you're talking about Kolkata (also known as Calcutta). It's a rather sizable city and very close to Bangladesh.

14. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The TV show "So You Think You Can Dance" now uses Bollywood dance routines in every season. They are really trying to help introduce it to new audiences.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I love their Bollywood routines. :)

16. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Some Bollywood films aren't bad; Some are kinda cheesy, some are better made than others. The best part is the women always do belly dancing somewhere in there. :D

Oh god that sounds so gross. :eek:

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

:p Fixed.

18. entropi macrumors 6502

So true. :)

This summer me and my girlfriend watched "All the best" which her sister bought for us while travelling in India and being the first ever Bollywood film we have watched it was a really weird experience... A quite thin script, lot's of colors, fx's, dancing & music - and the shouted line "ALL THE BEST!" thrown in every now and then...

We won't delve deeper in the Bollywood genre of films, I guess - but it was a truly new and fun filmexperience for us, nonetheless!

[​IMG]

"All the best" @ imdb

19. ahbdesign macrumors member

Well i'm indian, so I do watch a lot of bollywood movies. I do watch a lot of hollywood movies too!

That being said, bollywood movies are really coming of age. Yes, most of them are made to appeal to the poverty stricken part of India, where they want to watch a movie to just enjoy it, which they do by watching the dance routines and funny cheesy lines etc.

The other metropolitan side of India like all types of movies, and there are some deep, dark and really well made movies (this is subjective of course) out there which i'm sure pretty much anyone watching it would like :)

20. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Verily, there have been some pretty good offbeat movies of late. Although sadly, the last one I remember that was memorable (for me) was My Brother Nikhil. Which was ages ago, was it not? I'm sure i'm missing a few movies between then and now.
    Looking forward to watching That Girl in Yellow Boots, Mr Kashyap usually doesn't disappoint.

Edit: also greetings, good sir! There aren't many of us Indians here (who actually stick around) so hope you like MR enough to do so :)

21. ahbdesign macrumors member

Greetings to you too! I have been quite hooked on to MR in the last few months. So i'll probably stick around for a bit. I saw That Girl in Yellow Boots, and I thought it was quite good. Probably not his best though, but good nevertheless.

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

23. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I've seen one or two, and would be interested in watching more if anyone has any recommendations?

Unfortunately they usually don't get reviewed on regular movie-review programs, so it's rare that I hear of a good one. Strange, because other foreign movies (Japanese, South Korean, Chinese) are very successful in getting wider cinema releases, and often get a lot of praise as 'art house' features.

24. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

25. ahbdesign macrumors member

There are quite a few, but not sure if they'll be on netflix or not. Try looking for Sarkar (a godfather tribute but with its own storyline) and Taare Zameen Par (about a dyslexic child). These are slightly serious-ish movies, so if you want any light movies, let me know too! :)