Bombs in Birmingham...

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
controlled explosions? i was watching sky news..but they didnt say anything about bombs that've been found.

where did you hear it? or do you mean they're still looking for the bombs?

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
asif786 said:
controlled explosions? i was watching sky news..but they didnt say anything about bombs that've been found.

where did you hear it? or do you mean they're still looking for the bombs?

BBC News 24 received reports that controlled explosions had been carried out, very few details are available at the moment. No one can recall the Police ever evacuating a whole city centre before so they must have been pretty convinced that something was/is going to happen.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
psycho bob said:
BBC News 24 received reports that controlled explosions had been carried out, very few details are available at the moment. No one can recall the Police ever evacuating a whole city centre before so they must have been pretty convinced that something was/is going to happen.
ah right, i get you. i guess i'll just check back in half an hour..news is always sketchy at the start..sky news just mentioned something about bomb disposal units driving by at top speed..

dear oh dear..

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
I live in the inner city of Birmingham, 5 mins from the city centre.

30,000 people are being evacuated. and they said that they have / are attempting controled explosions in the Hippodrome Theatre, in the Chinese and Gay parts of town.

I am getting quite worried as loads of my mates are actually on the same road as the theatre at the moment, I really hope nothing bad happens. *Reeelie worried*

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
OMG They have carried out a controled explosion on a bus, and now are working on something in china town - possibly the theatre

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
can someone please explain to me exactly what a 'controlled explosion' is? have they found bombs and are detonating them..what exactly does it mean?

i'm a bit confused as to what's going on..

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
asif786 said:
can someone please explain to me exactly what a 'controlled explosion' is? have they found bombs and are detonating them..what exactly does it mean?

i'm a bit confused as to what's going on..
that would be my guess, tehy found them and are destroying them

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
Controlled explosions are the police blowing up things that they think may be bombs etc. The one on the bus was a large bag left on the bus. I think largely this started in UK after IRA a few years ago. Police encourage people to call 999 if they see bags etc being left around unattended - like I work in a mall and if someone leaves a bag we have to issue a bomb warning :S

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
I wonder if they found anything or if these are all just lost bags.

Lets hope the US doesn't do this at airports. I wonder how many bags the airlines misplace in a day.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
john_satc said:
I think largely this started in UK after IRA a few years ago.
Controlled explosions are also carried out quite frequently on UXBs left over from the Second World War – they're often discovered during excavation work or caught in fishing nets, and there's the occasional veteran who has an old hand grenade or shell he kept as a souvenir who causes a scare.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
john_satc said:
30,000 people are being evacuated. and they said that they have / are attempting controled explosions in the Hippodrome Theatre, in the Chinese and Gay parts of town.
London had a gay part of town?

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
mcarnes said:
London had a gay part of town?

London does have a gay part of town (actually a gay pub in london was blown up by terrorists only a few years ago with a nail bomb) but i was talking about Birmingham which also has a gay quarter. don't most cities???

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
john_satc said:
London does have a gay part of town (actually a gay pub in london was blown up by terrorists only a few years ago with a nail bomb) but i was talking about Birmingham which also has a gay quarter. don't most cities???
In some cities, it's more like a half...
:p