Bon Iver, Bon Iver: Hopeful or Depressing?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by upsguy27, Aug 11, 2011.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I've recently listened to Bon Iver's new album, Bon Iver, Bon Iver for the fiftieth time, and at first the feel of the album was clearly hopeful and uplifting, but now it seems like it could also easily be considered to be saddening and depressing. What do you guys think?

Also sidenote, holy god have any of you ever been to a Bon Iver concert it sounds amazing and they're coming Sep. 15 to Arizona

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but Justin has a very distinct style and is outside my normal genre's of music. That said, I'm from the same town he grew up and went to the same school as well so its hard to over look him. I think I read that he wrote the whole thing at a cabin in northern Wisconsin and while it may come off depressing I think he's going for an uplifting type of mood with the it.

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Hmm, wasn't For Emma, Forever Ago written and recorded in the cabin? I had thought that for the second album he went much grander and decided to bring in a full orchestra backing.

That being said, I think that you can tell when listening that the melodies and instruments used are more uplifting than not, but it's so complex that you can also find sadness in the music, leading to my question.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

His style sounds depressing, even if his lyrics may not be. That's how he's always going to sound.

And it's a fantastic record. There's a few songs that are horrible, but there are a couple of songs that are as good as (or better) than any song from his first album, For Emma, Forever Ago. I like For Emma more, but it's not like I enjoyed every song in that album, either.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I've got to get around to listening to this record. Loved For Emma, Forever Ago...

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I am ambivalent about it. I thought I would like it given the reviews and comparisons. However after a couple of listens I have pretty much zero inclination to listen to it again. Perhaps I will rediscover it in the future.

7. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I could have seen him if the tickets weren't so damn expensive!