bonafide n00b! snow leopard/boot camp hal.dll error :(

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by patrickmotron, May 15, 2010.

1. patrickmotron macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help a humble noob get his fallout 3 on once again with boot camp and win xp +SP2.
    Problem occurs during installation. I create a 60gb partition with snow leopard's boot camp assistant, (v3.0 i think.) Need the space to install games. I then load the windows installer and re format the boot camp partition with NTFS.
    Once the installer reformats the drive and extracts the installation files the dreaded hal.dll error appears and says hal.dll is corrupt or missing. I cant work out if i can repair this with the revocery console on windows (lol) as I can't seem to figure out how to open it :(
    has anyone using leopard had a similar problem?
    And can someone pleas please please assist me so I can once again play awesome video games. Thanking you all in advance. Sincerely appreciated.

2. patrickmotron thread starter macrumors newbie

quoted from your link to the other thread When you run Boot Camp Assistant, it creates a partition formatted with the FAT32 file system, and then when you run the Win XP Installer you have the option to format the partition yourself, for which you have to erase the FAT32 partition first and then format it in NTFS. You have to remain from re-formating the partition yourself until the installer asks you if you want the partition formatted with NTFS in either QuickFormat or the slow running option.

Was that understandable?

This actually makes sense. I suspect i understand but hoping to confirm please.
    -During the windows xp installation (booted from cd complete with ugly blue background)
    -DO NOT manually delete + reformat the parition with the windows installer
    -instead opt ENTER to install onto the desired partition
    -at this point elect to format disk as required

also, is a quick format acceptable? or does it have to be the slower one?

Many thanks. :) I may well explore the capital wastelands tonight. *fingers crossed*

3. patrickmotron thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm,

tried the above procedure with no luck.
    same error.

<windows root>\system32\hall.dll
    please re-install a copy of the above file

I've read about people manually replacing the file using commands via the windows recovery console. Is this possible at this point?

Other forums suggest a faulty boot.ini file? It's been so long since I've used windows I cant remember how to do anything with it :S

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use Quick Format if you like, the normal Format is not required, as it writes 60GB of nothing to your HDD.

And you understood correct. Have fun with Windows.

[​IMG]

Ah bollocks. Have you erased the partition via Boot Camp Assistant or Disk Utility before you ran Boot Camp Assistant again to make the partition?

You might even need to reinstall Mac OS X in order to get rid of that faulty partition.

5. patrickmotron thread starter macrumors newbie

i believe you are correct.

Although it had the same error i will try again from scratch as I recall having a similar problem before. Hopefully it will work.

I'll do a fresh install right from creating the new partition via bootcamp assistant. Will post results. If it still is problematic hoping you can help, though if not I shall slay many a zombie in your honor sir.

Thanks again.

6. patrickmotron thread starter macrumors newbie

partition restored OK via boot camp assistant.

Will create a new one with boot camp assistant and then follow your instructions with the windows side of the installation. I think we're getting there. :D

7. patrickmotron thread starter macrumors newbie

dude i f*cking love you!!!

We're all good :) thank you so much. Sorry to swear but I am very happy.
    hal.dll error = SOLVED thanks to you fine sir. And yes, I shall slay many a zombie in honor honor tonight.

Max respect distant cyber homie!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can tutsifrutsi swear like you want, it is ohlala human nature.

Have fun shooting those 24 hour zombies.

9. patrickmotron thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh man I'm just so happy I had to say thank you again.

I had windows running fine before and I installed something (a torrent file from a you know what site) that screwed everything right up, getting BC working again was the last part of over 20 hours work trying to fix it. Now thanks to you I can uber slay mega zombies and get my awesome windows VST's on.

I really appreciate it dude. Thanks again for your time.

10. nayan504 macrumors member

Windows XP Setup Doesnt Have Options

Hello

In the previous portions of the thread it says NOT to manually delete the partition but hit ENTER and format at the next screen

when i hit ENTER it automatically starts copying SETUP FILES and i DONT get the option to format into NTFS (QUICK)....

Does anyone know why my disc doesnt allow me to?

11. stanny macrumors 6502

Yeah same here. I got no option to reformat when I hit ENTER selecting C:. It installs in FAT32 and I get a disk error. If I manual delete the partition and format it in Windows Installer, I get the hal.dll error. Anybody knows a solution?