Bonded Leather

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Macinva, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

So, a couple years ago I bought a Serta office chair at Officemax. It was comfortable, etc. but the problem became the "leather". I usually get fabric chairs so this was my first bonded leather version. Pretty much, bonded leather sucks and is in no way as nice or durable as real leather.

After about a year, the chair started peeling. It was peeling like your back after getting sunburned. I love the chairs comfort so much, I got a black one which is pretty much the same chair.

I feel I got my money's worth out of the first one but my question is can you do anything to prolong the life of bonded leather? I have leather conditioning spray I would use in my car, but I'm not sure if that would do more harm than good on this one.

Thoughts?

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Not really. Bonded leather is little shreds of scrap bonded together with glue, similar to how Ikea furniture is made out of wood scraps and glue. If you want a leather chair that will last you'll have to shell out for top grain.

3. Macinva thread starter macrumors 6502

Macinva

That's what I figured but I was holding out hope.

Any recommendations on the best place to get real leather office chairs?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I got a OfficeDepot $50 Black Friday special back in college, circa 2003 or 4. "leather" chair.

Still use it. Not peeling, seems are holding together.

Bunch of us got them. Several friends lasted, others came apart at the seams. Might be weight related.

You probably just got a defect. Though honestly, on entry level chairs, variance from one to another is probably very high.

I'd drop money on a Aeron chair like I have at work before I spent on a 'real leather' computer chair.

5. Macinva thread starter macrumors 6502

Macinva

I think I paid around $190 for this one. The Aeron chairs are nice as well. I suppose I'll just let this one go till it falls apart and get a high end chair.

Thanks for all the replies. :)