Resolved Bondi iMac (rev B) all of the sudden dead

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Project Alice, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

Hi all,

Today I plugged in my Bondi iMac G3, Rev B in to play with it. It has been sitting on a shelf for, 3 or 4 months maybe? It was working fine then. It isn't like it's been sitting for years.. Theres just no sign of power. No lights, no sounds, you'd think I was pressing the power button without it plugged in.

I've tried 2 different power cables and 2 different outlets. I took it apart to look for anything odd, I didn't see anything. I re-seated the CPU card, checked all the connections, ect. I also tried an apple USB keyboard that can be used to power these on.. Nothing.

Any ideas?? I don't understand why it just won't turn on all the sudden. I've had it on for hours at a time since I've owned it and it's never showed any signs of problems.

2. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Leave it plugged in for a while and try again after an hour or so

3. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

This happened with an iMac G3 I used to have.

I think we ended up determining it was a failed power supply, and eventually just donated it for parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

4. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Ugh...

It's a pain in the ass, but unscrew and take out the logic board tray and press the CUDA button the board. It should boot up then.

Then replace your PRAM battery ASAP...

5. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

I'm gonna kick myself for a year if that was the solution.

6. Project Alice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

I'm trying this, I'm leaving it plugged in for my 4 day work stretch. If it doesn't turn on I'll pull it apart again and press th cuda button...Which I completely forgot about -_-

7. bobesch, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

Is this the CUDA button?
    I've also got a defective Bondi last month. Came at 20 bucks. No chime, no lights ... - went for it, because it had the the original keyboard and I hoped the problem could be sorted out. At least for spare parts for my working Bondi.
    The CUDA-button thing is good news. Also ordered a new battery and hope this magic will work.
    So, if pictures show the CUDA-button ("Power Management Reset Button") it might be accessed by a spudger or a wooden toothpick through the RAM-door ...? (otherwise no big deal to remove bottom and EMI-shield - especially if the battery is to be replaced)

CUDOs to @swamprock! :)

iMacG3 CUDA-Button.jpg iMac G3 CUDA-Button 2.jpg

Oh, and with that Bondi came a little gadget, that made me start a new thread ...
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/odd-and-helpful-gadgets-for-old-macs.2178366/

8. Project Alice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

The iMac in your attachments is not a bondi. That's a newer slot loading iMac. Bondi's are in my opinion "dark teal" and are tray loaders only. They do not have a opening on the rear like the slot loaders for RAM, theirs come on a CPU card nearly identical to PowerBook G3s and is sodimm laptop memory.

This is how tray loaders open up and what the logicboards look like.

9. bobesch, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

Uups :oops:, you're right and thanks for the link!
    Actually I didn't take a look "under the hood" of my defective Bondi and another defective tray-loader yet! (Last year I got a non-working Strawberry tray-loader for 10€ too).
    With the hints about CUDA-button, replacement-battery, keeping the iMac plugged-in for some time and how to disassemble the tray-loaders I'm happy now to know, where to start with.
    The pictures I've attached came from the official Apple repair manual and yes, they show a Blueberry.
    (It's a pity, there's no Bondi-color for the later slot-loaders, since the most annoying thing concerning the tray-loaders is, that they don't go into proper sleeping mode and the fan is humming all the time ...)
    PS: if you're looking for a Bondi hockey-puck mouse: they are the one without excavation on the mouse-button (since Blueberry and Bondi are hard to distinguish on a photo or in twilight)
    Look - where's the Bondi ... !? ;)
    Where's the Bondi ... .jpg

10. Project Alice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

An update: Pressing the cuda button fixed it!
    I'd say the Bondi is the top right one next to the orange.

11. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Awesome! Now replace that PRAM battery and you won't have to constantly open your Bondi up when it's seemingly dead... :)

12. bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

Great, congrats! I'm looking forward to try fixing my Strawberry - maybe tomorrow and I hope for the best.
    And a new battery is on the way.
    And again, many thanks to @swamprock !

About "where's the Bondi?". - I can't remember the order, when I took the picture, but I think, you're right. On a bright day, it's pretty easy to see the difference between Bondi and Blueberry and the Bondi looks just awesome.
    In the evening and especially on fotos it's really hard to see the difference. I got the Blueberry accidentally, because I was looking for a Bondi and it was offered as a Bondi. Came with matching keyboard and hockey-puck mouse at a price-"offer, I could not refuse..." So, no regrets (except :eek: from my wife)

13. Project Alice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

Yeah I plan to. I replaced like 3 of them awhile back, I have so many macs and at 6 bucks a pop for those batteries I sorta just pick up a bunch of them when I think about it.