bong alert origin unknown ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Hankmac, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Hankmac macrumors member

Hankmac

After the Thanksgiving company left I'm getting several daily loud bong alerts and I don't know how to find the app that's making them. Getting kind of annoying. Any tips appreciated ?
    Thanks
    Hank

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

3. matttye macrumors 601

Do you get banners in the notification centre? If so, just tap on the banners and it will open the app.

4. Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

I'm not sure what banners are but I don't see any visual icons.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not ideal but go to Settings->NotificationCenter and look through the list of apps under "Include" looking for any that seem new or out of the ordinary.

Also you can click on each of the listed apps to see which Alert Sound is being used.

If you can't identify the specific app the above should narrow down the possible culprits. You can turn off sound notifications for the suspect apps one by one until you identify the correct one.

6. Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

Oops, dummy me, this is a Mavericks issue. My 73 yr old brain farted and I posted in OS7. My apologies. Going repost in the correct forum.
    Hank

7. Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

I think I caught one and I suspect the bong was triggered by a Fund Raising email that sends updates. Tips on how to stop the annoying bong without killing the emails?
    Thanks
    Hank

8. guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

Do you have any rules set up associated with receiving emails from that particular sender?

9. cynics macrumors G4

10. Hankmac, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

I use Yahoomail for my email and I just checked and don't have any alerts set up. Now I'm wondering if the bong I got was just coincidental with the fund raising newsletter arriving. Then I forwarded the message to myself and the got a bong the firs time but not on the second or third forwards. Strange, a two time tag. I guess I'll have to wait for the next letter or if if there's another boinger with a trigger.
    Hank

11. TsunamiTheClown macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

So is it a gulping bong sound, or a gulping gong sound. Cause if your Mac is making gulping bong sounds i'm not sure what you can do about that, i hear it's habit forming.

Otherwise, perhaps check in Mail -> Preferences -> Rules like guitarman777 said.

12. Hankmac, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

Hankmac thread starter macrumors member

Hankmac

I don't use Apple Mail but after checking I see that the gulping boing sound which is labeled "SUBMARINE" came from it. So now I know the proper name of the sound and how to stop it. Many thanks.
    Hank