Bonjour for this network setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MatchFrame, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MatchFrame macrumors member

Ok, here's my setup. Windows Vista PC connected via ethernet cable directly to wireless router. Windows XP connected wirelessly to router. Mac Pro connected wirelessly to router.

What is the best way to setup this network? I don't even use the Vista machine, just the Mac Pro and XP PC, which are in the same room.

Is this a situation where I would use Bonjour? I tried looking in to it, and the concept and setup completely confused me (and I've found no place that actually tells you how to do it in a scenario like mine). Do I need to already have the computers networked to use Bonjour?

Is it possible to just directly connect the Mac Pro and XP PC with an ethernet cable?

Sorry if these are irritatingly dumb questions. Setting up a network is completely foreign to me. Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. !on macrumors member

yea i'm also interested in this, i managed to get something working but not ideal; had to enable this on my LAN pc to enable networking, also on the macbook, but at the pc also had to disable router firewall in order for it to see my mb.... but i wanted to transfer some GB's & wasn't happy with firewall being off (also, when i did start a transfer it hanged anyway).

it's a royal pain & i gave up, must be an easier way.

3. MatchFrame thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm hoping there's a way to do it where I don't have to cripple security on any of the machines.

I only got my Mac Pro a few days ago and ordered MobileMe with it. So I'm thinking the 20GB of storage is where I'm going to end up if I can't find a good solution, but that setup would certainly be less than ideal.