Bonjour not working? /subnet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toby Goodbar, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

We've added a net gear extender to the wifi network for a ****** signaled room. Since doing so the macs on the extender don't see the AirPrint printer and having problems using apple remote.

I remember running into this issue before years back at a diff location and thought I remembered solution was to make sure the subnet is identical.thought I knew what I was doing. Turns out, I , may not lol.

Is there anyone who can give me guidance on this?

NOTE: wpa2-psk is also being used. I'm aware of the implication but if devices are connected to the same AP there seems to be no problem.

TIA :):apple:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Did you setup the extender correctly? Are they in the same subnet still? You can check to make sure the IPs in the network have the same first three octets to make sure they are in the same subnet.

3. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

yea its setup properly. if i'm understand you, yes, the IPs all start with 192.168.1 and the subnet mask is the triple 255.

i thought the subnet mask was what needed to match to make sure everything was on the same subnet. i guess there's more to it?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

5. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the late reply. I just haven't even around to check things out

The relevant ports for bonjour are:

There doesn't seem to be any firewalls running on the routers. I haven't forwarded those ports for what i think is an obvious reason, unless i'm confused or haven't thought of something haha

I did do a port scan using OSX's network utility from my desktop on my desktop's local ip address. It returned the following:

Open TCP Port: 22 ssh
    Open TCP Port: 88 kerberos
    Open TCP Port: 445 microsoft-ds
    Open TCP Port: 548 afpovertcp
    Open TCP Port: 3689 daap
    Open TCP Port: 5842
    Open TCP Port: 5900 rfb
    Open TCP Port: 7000 afs3-fileserver
    Open TCP Port: 7001 afs3-callback
    Open TCP Port: 7100 font-service

6. Toby Goodbar thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE

and to make this even weirder, i switched to the router signal to double check things and to setup an ip reservation and port forwarding for use with torrent. I realized that i'm being given a different ip reservation depending on wether i'm connected to the router direct vs the extender.

AND, For some reason airplay is working. Albeit w.some "audio blackouts" for a few seconds at a time that i never experience otherwise (could be the crappy signal)

networking has never been my strong suit although i always manage to bumble through it and usually get the results i need.

idk if this helps at all or if you can tell me whats going on :confused:
    should probably consider taking some sort of free online networking class… open to recommendations if anyone has any lol :)