Bonjour on iPhone? [SOLVED]

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
I used to be able to use Bonjour with Cyberduck to go through my iPhone's file system without having to type in my IP address every time. Then one day it stopped working. Is there anyway to reenable this?

Solution:

In the /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.openssh.sshd.plist file, make sure it looks like this in the Socket dictionary, you may need to add the text in purple:

Code:
<key>Sockets</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Listeners</key>
		<dict>
			[COLOR="Purple"]<key>Bonjour</key>
			<array>
				<string>ssh</string>
				<string>sftp-ssh</string>
			</array>[/COLOR]
			<key>SockServiceName</key>
			<string>ssh</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
Make sure you change your passwords (both root and mobile) if you do this

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You have to add the Bonjour socket information into the SSH launchdaemon plist. Note: It was removed because it is a security risk.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
You have to add the Bonjour socket information into the SSH launchdaemon plist. Note: It was removed because it is a security risk.
Do you happen to have a link or instructions on how to do so?

How is it a security risk? Didn't it still require username/password?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's a security risk because most people don't change their root/mobile passwords. With the SSH/SFTP service being broadcasted to the local network, a person could see that your iPhone is jailbroken and attempt the default password. This is also how the worm spread across jailbroken iPhones in 2008.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
It's a security risk because most people don't change their root/mobile passwords. With the SSH/SFTP service being broadcasted to the local network, a person could see that your iPhone is jailbroken and attempt the default password. This is also how the worm spread across jailbroken iPhones in 2008.
Ah well, thats not a risk for me then, since I've changed mine.

Do you know how I can add the socket information for it by any chance?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
In the /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.openssh.sshd.plist file, make sure it looks like this in the Socket dictionary, you may need to add the text in purple:

Code:
<key>Sockets</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Listeners</key>
		<dict>
			[COLOR="Purple"]<key>Bonjour</key>
			<array>
				<string>ssh</string>
				<string>sftp-ssh</string>
			</array>[/COLOR]
			<key>SockServiceName</key>
			<string>ssh</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.