bonjour protocol issues on work network...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carboncow, Dec 7, 2011.

1. carboncow macrumors member

I've installed two appleTV in a remote building at our facility. There are three switches and the last one being wireless that connect the two ATV.

Once moving the ATV from my office (test) area to the new area they have lost connection to iTunes on my PC (the PC doesn't see them and they don't really see the PC if you try to reconnect them).

I then took my ipad to that location and cannot get VNC (bonjour) to see my desktop iMac!

So I've concluded that bonjour (assuming ATVs work on this protocol too) is not transmitting over my switches.

1. These are switches and not firewalls
    2. All other protocols work across this same path

Any ideas?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sounds like the networks in your office and remote test area aren't on the same subnet. Bonjour only advertises itself on the local subnet, so would be useless, while any protocol that's addressing directly by IP address (or otherwise getting routed properly by the switches) would work fine.

If that is the case there are apparently ways to get Bonjour to advertise to other subnets, but reorganizing routing might be the easier solution.

3. carboncow thread starter macrumors member

All my switches are "dumb" so I think they should be handing off the same subnet but you bring up a great point and I'm going to reset the wireless router and reconfig as the issue may be there!

I don't know enough to be savvy at subnets but do understand that it should be on the same one...so I'll review our config.

Thanks!