Bonjour services blocked by Airport Express?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stitzu, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Stitzu macrumors member

Hi there, I have searched around a bit for an answer to my problem but failed to find anything, so sorry if I just didn't look hard enough and this has been discussed before.

Firstly let me explain the layout of my network. I currently have a Linksys non-wireless router setup with my iMac (running 10.4.11) and a few other machines connected directly to it via ethernet, then in another room I have my AirPort Express connected to the Linksys router via a long ethernet cable and my MacBook Pro (running 10.5) connected to the AirPort wirelessly.

Now the problem I am having is that the Bonjour services such as File Sharing, iTunes Sharing, and Printer Sharing on my iMac are not showing up on my MacBook Pro, e.g. the iMac does not show up in the left pane in the Finder under SHARED and the shared iTunes Library on the iMac does not show up in iTunes. Yet when I plug the MacBook Pro directly into the Linksys router with an ethernet cable all the services will show up. This has been a problem I've always had since buying the AirPort Express however there seems to be no actual connectivity problems because I can still connect to the File Sharing by just manually entering the details in the "Connect to Server" box in the Finder.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

Stitzu

2. Stitzu thread starter macrumors member

3. dsap4004 macrumors newbie

You say you have two routers connected together which means you have two networks. It is a little complicated to share in this instance since the airport is passing out it's own ip addresses. you need to configure the airport wireless router to give out ip addresses from the wired router by making it a wireless access point instead of a full router. I have never done that with an airport router before so good luck. I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

p.s. you might be better off ditching the airport all together an buying a wireless access point for your wired router.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=663
    (this is not a router, it is an access point, there is a difference)

4. Stitzu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply but I did actually resolve this problem a while ago and I guess I probably should have posted my solution.

However, you were right and the problem was that the AirPort Express was basically creating a network of it's own and so if I remember correctly, what I needed to do was set the AirPort Express to "Bridge Mode" and disable DHCP on it so that the DHCP server on my main router would be used for clients connecting to the AirPort Express. Lastly, I just needed to assign an IP address to the AirPort Express which was outside the range of the DHCP server on my main router. I hope this helps out anyone else having this problem and sorry I didn't post it sooner when I actually solved it myself :D

Stitzu