bonjour

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by chhoda, Jul 2, 2009.

1. chhoda macrumors 6502

I was going through WiTap example to see the possibility of my developing a p2p application. I saw it is using TCPServer and then using bonjour to do something

My question is, is bonjour essential ? cant we do socket communications directly ?

--CH

2. Troglodyte macrumors member

Bonjour isn't a replacement for sockets. It's simply a way of publishing and detecting services.

3. chhoda thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah

yeah understood, even though i could not understand the protocol fully, i could start working with it ans will learn as i progress.

One problem is, I have only one mac, how can I test it ? if i intend to test a multiplayer application?

--CH

4. Troglodyte macrumors member

5. ghayenga macrumors regular

Not so, with Bonjour you can use one device and the simulator on your computer. I've done it.

6. Troglodyte macrumors member

I could be pedantic and point out you do still have two devices in that case - a mac and an iPhone/iTouch.

7. chhoda thread starter macrumors 6502

internet ?

thanks, got it.

another question is, can two players create session over internet ? like i hv tested in local network, but i wanna see if i run my app here in my office network and somebody else run app at home who is connected internet through his own internet connection [different than my office connection], still we can create a session and communicatethrough bonjour ?

regards
    Jagat