Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Does anyone have a known brand / model of TB3 -> USBA adapter that is a USB3.1 / 10Gbps adapter?

The Apple adapter only supports 5Gbps.

I'm trying to think of an alternative to installing a PCI card to get high speed usb-a.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Won’t any USB3.2 Gen 2 USB-C > USB-A female adapter suffice? Why Thunderbolt?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Won’t any USB3.2 Gen 2 USB-C > USB-A female adapter suffice? Why Thunderbolt?

I assume so, but even those, it's hard to find one by a reputable brand. Even the flea market of Amazon, into the dropshipped slap a brand on a generic device world, finding one that's a cabled dongle and does 10Gbps is difficult.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I dunno… it’s not rocket science to produce a USB adapter. You might be over thinking it. We are talking about something that typically costs less than $10USD.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I dunno… it’s not rocket science to produce a USB adapter. You might be over thinking it. We are talking about something that typically costs less than $10USD.

Nothing Thunderbolt ever costs $10… The last time I've looked a real TB3 to USB3 controller, not just a USB-C to USB-A, was $70 on AliExpress.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

Like I said, I'm having trouble finding anyone selling a Type-C to USB-A cabled adaptor, that does the full 10Gbps bandwidth. There's no end of 5Gbps versions, and there's plenty of non-cabled plug-wart versions, but I specifically need the type which has the compact Type-C plug, and then a short cable to the larger Type A female connector, so I can plug several into the TB3 ports on an MPX card.

Reactions: -DMN-

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
...or take small cost gambles on the non-name brands such as this one for $16 or this one for $32 or this one for $55?

Maybe I'm missing something but these seem abundant (many forms & prices) unless it all revolves around the name brand objective or a thunderbolt-only requirement. If the latter, maybe get a robust Thunderbolt hub with many ports including some with 3.2 gen 2 like maybe this one or this one? That's much overkill if you need only one 3.2 gen 2 type A port but loaded hubs like that can offer a lot of flexibility for potential future connections.

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
...or take small cost gambles on the non-name brands such as this one for $16 or this one for $32 or this one for $55?

I'm not looking for multi-port hubs, just a single port cabled adapter.

Maybe I'm missing something but these seem abundant (many forms & prices) unless it all revolves around the name brand objective or a thunderbolt-only requirement. If the latter, maybe get a robust Thunderbolt hub with many ports including some with 3.2 gen 2 like maybe this one or this one? That's much overkill if you need only one 3.2 gen 2 type A port but loaded hubs like that can offer a lot of flexibility for potential future connections.

Yes, you're missing that I don't want a multiport hub (I have ~9 empty thunderbolt ports).

That's why I specifically mentioned the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter. I just wanted to know if anyone had found a reliable 10Gbps version of that.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OK, check this one... but can't vouch for reliability.

Or maybe "Frankenstein" it by getting a USB-C male to female cable and then sticking one of these on the female end... unless you have room in the 9 thunderbolt ports for only the adapters themselves.

And FYI, you might want to give this a read too... which offers that getting 10Gbps out of a Silicon Mac may not be possible anyway... in spite of the marketing saying it is so.

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
OK, check this one... but can't vouch for reliability.

Thankyou, that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for - I've seen a UB 3.1 Gen 2 version on Amazon (with a braided cable), but none from "big name" peripheral manufacturers - Blekin, Anker etc.

*edit* Looks like B&H are mislabelling that adapter as USB 3.2. The manufacturer says it's 3.1 Gen2.

Or maybe "Frankenstein" it by getting a USB-C male to female cable and then sticking one of these on the female end... unless you have room in the 9 thunderbolt ports for only the adapters themselves.

Less links in the adapter chain is probably better than more.

And FYI, you might want to give this a read too... which offers that getting 10Gbps out of a Silicon Mac may not be possible anyway... in spite of the marketing saying it is so.

Yup, but this is posted with the tag 7,1. I did read that independently last night however, yet another reason I'm disinterested in Apple Silicon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.