Book Book vs. Hex Code

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Zord, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

Hi, could you guys help me out a bit?

I'm trying to decide on these two cases and I'm hoping for some good feedback. Any real world use that you could shore would be great, and some pics maybe. ;)

Thanks for the help!

2. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

currently rocking the BookBook. Love it. easy to take the phone out too and keep the case in your back pocket like a regular wallet. It holds enough, yet isn't too bulky (slots for 3 cards and a pocket for cash/misc). I wish it was blank on the side instead of saying book book. +1 for BookBook. Pics later.

3. Dylatron2000 macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

Book Book for sure, got one in october and it still is holding up like a champ, always get compliments on it, and its somewhat of a theft deterrent, who would want to steal a little brown book??? ;)

BUT the only negative I have about the Book Book is the fact that I have to take it out every time I want to take a picture. Which isn't a huge deal, but I am considering cutting a hole in the back, or letting someone who knows how to use a blade do it in my place....

4. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Thanks for the input guys. Anyone else? I'd like to hear from someone who has the Hex case, and maybe some pics of it too after some use.

5. Breedlove macrumors regular

From what I've gleaned from various sources online, the Hex Code is more stylish and compact. Both lack camera functionality but it's easier to take the phone out of the Book Book in the event that you do need the camera.
    And from my own observations, the Book Book is made a little better, material and stitching wise.
    Personally, I'd pick the Hex Code. I'm not in constant need of my camera and don't mind taking the phone out if I ever do need it. But more importantly, the Hex Code is about 30 dollars cheaper and I'd rather carry around a Moleskine than a Bible.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Amazon has them for $45 hex and bookbook $49 the links I posted.

7. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I'm concerned about the bulk something like the BookBook or Hex add to the phone.

Does anyone have (or has seen) any photos of a side-by-side comparison of a naked iPhone versus an iPhone encased in one of the above? It'd be better for comparison purposes, too, if there was a photo of the BookBook/Hex next to an iPhone encased in something simple (i.e., Magpul Exec Field) and something in more sturdy protection (i.e., Otterbox Defender).

8. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Book Book baby.. The older it gets, the better it looks too.

9. Sunsean macrumors 6502

I've had my eye on the bookbook for a bit too...looks super duper nice, but I share the concern over adding too much bulk. I'm afraid after the initial charm wears off, a few months down the road, I'll find it too cumbersome and go back to the phone by itself.

With the bookbook stuffed with cards and the phone, is it still pocketable?

10. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Good questions guys! I would like to know these things as well.

11. zvandiver macrumors member

I have had the Hex case for several months now and am very pleased with it. I carry my debit card, a credit card, and my driver's license in it, so if I have my phone with me I have all of the other necessities. The added bulk is minimal. I previously used a Case-Mate Barely There case, and the Hex is not that much thicker.
    I like the styling and looks of the BookBook, but comparing it to the Hex it is at least twice as thick.

12. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I have the book book and I love it but it has a few flaws. One thing that made me switch back to my bumper is that the clear plastic covering the card leaves a smudge on my phones screen every time I closed the case and that was really annoying. Also, it's not easy to hold and type with if you hold it open like a book but you can flip the card side behind the phone and type like that but it's a bit bulky. It still fit in my pocket with some cash in there and like 5 cards. I like to alternate between my cases so I'll go back to using it again soon.

13. chrisvee macrumors regular

I got the Hex Code as a gift last Christmas and it's pretty great. Very thin, simple, and clean looking. It looks kind of like a Moleskine book, and I love those, so yeah. I find the book style kind of awkward when taking phone calls and typing stuff, but other than that, the case is pretty good and does the job.

I was actually on another thread that was asking about this CM4 Q Card Case that looks rather appealing. It's not the same style as the BookBook or Hex Code, but it's another wallet case that looks pretty cool.

14. zvandiver macrumors member

The Hex case flap folds behind the phone very easily with little added bulk. I use it that way when connecting to my XM radio dock (I do use a dock extender).

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

The problem with that is that it doesn't have a card slot with a clear covering which I need for an ID card with a bar code I use everyday.

16. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

Still no pics? Come guys show me what ya got! :)

17. dthree36 macrumors regular

I currently still have my Book Book and I love the design and the look but I am a creature of change so I have gone back to a nearly naked setup. Screen protection and leather skin on the back. The Book Book is nice because you can have everything in one place but it has its flaws. The plastic on the id compartment will leave smudges on your screen and you really can't use a standard screen protector because it will get stuck to it.

I have looked at the HEX case and actually demoed one but don't have pictures. Between the two... I like that the HEX does not have the plastic see through on the card slots and it is much thinner. No camera cut outs and the need to un-snap the phone from the case every time you need a pick is a burden. Its going to come down to design preference. Book Book is thicker but not much and sliding in and out is easier then removing the entire case. The Hex's elastic band may get too loose over time with excessive use as well.

Get the one you like more... if you don't like it... that's what eBay is for.

18. war eagle macrumors 6502a

here's some pics of my BookBook. i've had it since around oct/nov.

Attached Files:

19. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My wife hasd the BookBook and hated how it covered the phone at the top and bottom, also no way to keep the cover open flat on the back when talking on the phone. She switched to a Hex and loves it - the phone clips in with the whole screen unobstructed, the cover can be secured to the back using the strap and it holds her driver's license, a couple credit cards, transit card and minimal cash. She also like the cleaner look - much more presentable if she's in a meeting and it's out on the table.

20. BrassPro macrumors newbie

I've got a wallet style iphone case, and I don't really like it, since it's awkward to take a call with it. Now I got one with the cover flip downward instead of sideways, which is a lot more functional for me.

21. GAUG3 macrumors member

War Eagle!