book borrowing on ipad? (library style)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Italianblend, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Are there any libraries or ways to borrow books (library style) on your ipad (kindle app, or any others).

2. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

Depends on your library... Most libraries now have availability , although it seems a bit limited right now.
    You will need a library card to borrow ebooks.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

4. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I use the Overdrive app all the time with my local library. You will need the pin number on your library card. The biggest problem is selection.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

OverDrive works fine on iPods/iPhone/iPads and also on the Mac. You checkout electronically from your library (need library ID/PIN) and the book or audio is downloaded directly to the device. You read/listen using the OverDrive app and when the loan period expires OverDrive removes it from the device. It's quite popular at our local library.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

In addition to Overdrive (ePub), our local library offers Kindle versions as well. I check them out on the libraries site and they're automatically sent to my Kindle account.

As mentioned, biggest problem is limited selection (although it's getting better as my libraries ebook collection doubled in the past 6 months) and waiting lists for more popular selections.

7. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

This! Although I attempted to check out a Kindle version book last night and learned that some publishers are restricting downloads to apps such as Overdrive.

8. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

9. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

10. laurenr macrumors 6502a

This is a copy of a post that I made in another thread:

There is another option, without going through Overdrive. The Bluefire Reader App is great with library books, and its interface is far better than Overdrive. If you log into your local public Library's Digital content, once you make your selection, go to Checkout>Download, just select the option to "open in...", as pictured below, and select "Bluefire Reader". I always use the Icab browser which supports downloads, and makes them easy to access:

[​IMG]

You can see the thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1348671

11. M87 macrumors 65816

Yes, but that system is so stupid I wouldn't even bother. I signed up and almost every book is "checked out". It's absolutely insane to place artificial limits on a digital medium like that.

12. kevintrung macrumors newbie

anyone know what the best app to get textbook rental or ebooks?

13. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Freader is another such app. Check your library's website to find out all their options.

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If you could get books whenever you wanted them why would anyone buy books?

15. GeneralDisarray macrumors newbie

Just to be clear, it's the publishers putting these limits on the eBooks, not the libraries.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

The number of copies you can checkout depends on how many copies the library buys. So if the library buys 10 "copies" then 10 copies can be checked out at one time. Some publishers also place a further limit where an eBook can only be checked out 30 times and then it's gone. Our library refuses to buy from publishers who place "number of times checked out" limits on eBooks.

17. diane143 macrumors 6502a

If you finish it before the checkout period ends, please return it! :) As others have said selection can be limited.