Book for an Absolute Beginner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ansah, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Ansah macrumors newbie

Ansah

I know an elderly guy who recently purchased a very nice i7 MBP with retina, running 10.8, but is on the other side of the so-called "digital divide" and has no idea how to use it. He asked me if I could recommend a hard copy book that would start from the very beginning in terms of computer literacy.

I've been looking around, and most of the books for beginners are either Windows oriented, or dealing with making the "switch", and this is a gentleman who has difficulty using a trackpad or mouse, can't open a dialogue box, and wouldn't know a web browser from a media player... I've already offered that there are numerous web tutorials, but he insists he doesn't want any content in digital form, but rather a plain, old fashioned book that starts from the beginning.

I've tried showing him some simple things such as opening his Mail and navigating to a web page using Safari, but it doesn't "stick"... He needs a handy reference. Any suggestions on a decent book that would fill his need, just to get him started?

He's a bright guy. He's just never used computers of any sort, and is intimidated by them. But he wants to learn.

Thanks in advance.

2. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

I would just have him jump in and try to do daily tasks.

3. Ansah thread starter macrumors newbie

Ansah

This looks excellent, thank you! A glance at the Table of Contents and looking inside reveals that the author explains things such as the Apple menu icon in the upper left corner, the desktop disk icons and the dock etc.... I'm going to recommend this.

Thanks again.