Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaoticmuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone know of some good software, preferably under $100, for formatting and self-publishing books with both text and pictures (digital photos)?

TIA
El.

ETA: I'm using OS 9.2

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Believe it or not, Pages in the iWork package may be just what you are looking for.

It depends on how complex you want the formatting to be. If you live near an Apple store, you could go try Pages on a computer there and see if you can find a Pages knowledgable sales droid.

chaoticmuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks, bear. I will take a look at that. I don't need anything too fancy - that will only confuse my dumb-ass. :p

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
chaoticmuse said:
Anyone know of some good software, preferably under $100, for formatting and self-publishing books with both text and pictures (digital photos)?

TIA
El.

ETA: I'm using OS 9.2
If you are using MacOS 9.2, there is nothing better than FrameMaker 7. Even though Adobe is scheduled to end support of the Mac version next month, it is still listed for sale on the Adobe website. The the updaters are still available for download. You don't really need support because it just works. OTOH, it is a bit more expensive than your $100 budget.

Several people have suggested that you use a TeX-based solution. There are a few TeX implementations for MacOS 9. OzTeX is shareware and has been around longer than Joan Collins. You can find it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.