Book Recommendation - iOS Programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by VanMac, Oct 8, 2013.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hello.

About 4-5 years ago I did some iPhone programming - just for the sake of learning how to do it.

I picked up the following books back then:
    - Kochan Objective-C book (2nd Edition)
    - Beginning iPhone 3 Development (Mark/LaMarche)

Spent a little time in the Objective-C book, and went end to end on the iPhone Dev book. Thought it was decent enough.

Now I would like to get back into it, but might need to start from scratch again.

At this point, it is strictly educational, and would use latest version of Xcode and target iOS6 or iOS7 depending on books/tutorials. I may develop a simple app when I'm done, but no major plans.

So, any input into getting some updated books would be appreciated.
    - I see the Kochan book is at 5th edition - any point in upgrading?
    - Beginning iOS 6 Development seems fairly current - still any good?
    - I see pretty good reviews for BNR iOS book, but it seems dated, and new release scheduled for Dec this year.
    - Are there any other resources that may serve better?
    - Will the iOS6 resources serve well enough for building iOS7 app.

Thanks in advance.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

The book you already have will teach you a lot of stuff. Probably the biggest two changes are ARC and Storyboards - you can find tutorials from a few years ago that were written when those transactions happened that will guide you from what your book has to the new stuff.

There are so many features and they change so quickly that it's not feasible for a book to be written on all of them. As quickly as they come out, they'll be dated. The fundamentals don't change often, though, and what your books you already have should teach you them well enough.