Book recommendations- Beginners books.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by elephantinc, Jun 6, 2010.

1. elephantinc macrumors member

I know Python and C++ but I don't know Objective-C and have never done any mac specific programming. Does anyone have any good book recommendations to get started with iphone development, that will teach (or I will at least be able to follow without knowledge of) Objective-C?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPhone-Appl...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1GQSNC0X84VNSK6F3T3V
    This seems like good value but I've never thought much of the for dummies books, anyone heard anything about this particularly books?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Objective-C...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1GQSNC0X84VNSK6F3T3V
    This one's not out yet but I think it's due for release some time in August.

2. flyingturtle macrumors regular

I learned Objective-C via this book, which is often recommended here.

Programming in Objective-C 2.0
    by Stephen G. Kochan (Author)

For iPhone development, I've used many books, but I highly recommend this one. Aaron Hillegass wrote the definitive book on Cocoa Mac programming, and he recently put out this iPhone book.

IPhone Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
    by Aaron Hillegass (Author), Joe Conway (Author)

I'm already a programmer, like you, and these books got me up to speed. I live in the USA, but I just checked and both books are available in the Amazon UK store as well.

3. elephantinc thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks. I've heard a lot of good things about that Objective-C book.
    I'll definitely take a look at the iphone book too.
    Thanks for the help :)

4. donaghy macrumors member

I walked into iPhone Development with no knowledge of objective-c also but i found this book excellent 'Apress - Beginning iPhone Development'. It's a very good start to getting you familar with ViewControlers, navigation and some of the controls. The code walk throughs are very good, i always refer back to this book when the simple things slip my mind.

5. rjenovai macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.22.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Safari/531.22.7)

You might want to also check out some of the Objective-C and iPhone books from the Pragmatic Bookshelf: http://www.pragprog.com/titles
    They have good books in quite a few different areas. First heard about them at a No Fluff Just Stuff conference a couple of years ago.

6. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

The Stanford CS193p lectures are another place to start (see iTunes U). It's a different learning method than a book (video lectures combined with assignments). Having information presented in two different ways can be helpful for some.

Also, I found that doing the Stanford assignments were valuable - they were more rigorous and deeper than the assignments/projects in the various Cocoa / iPhone books I've worked through.

7. elephantinc thread starter macrumors member

Oo-er, now I've got a decision to make!

I'm downloading them now, may as well since there free! Thanks for the tip ;)

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.