Book Recommendations for PC Crossover Types

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drpotter2807, May 2, 2011.

1. drpotter2807 macrumors newbie

Although I WILL NOT be getting a beautiful new iMac tomorrow (I promised myself we would pay off my Husbands Polaris Ranger first... and still have about a month left to go to be able to do that) I still want to be able to prepare my brain for the PC to Mac crossover. Do you have any recommendations for books (I'm a book geek) that help us Mac newbies with file transfer and just getting used to the whole OS in general?

Congrats to all those of you who are PREPARED for purchase tomorrow. You have NO IDEA how much self control it is taking to use my cash stash on PAYING OFF debt, instead of buying a new iMac. Pray for me to be strong!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I believe there is one about Macs in the "for Dummies" series. Not at all insinuating that you are a dummy, those are just good books for beginners.

4. trackbikes macrumors regular

I swapped over last month after almost 20 years of PC use 8 hours a day 5 days a week...

Don't worry about it, OSX is really easy to use and very intuitive. There are a few gotcha's that might trip you up but a quick search for "Mac equivalent of ..... " works every time

Biggest tip...
    Learn to substitute the CMD key for the CTRL key and most things work like normal :)

Wished i'd have changed years ago.

5. drpotter2807 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a lot of photos that I need to transfer over that are on external hard drives. I guess I need to research how to do this online and forgo the book...

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Just copy them over. Apple computers can read both Mac and windows formatted external drives.

7. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

I found the Leopard Pocket guide to be very handy when I switched, I imagine the Snow Leopard version will be just as good. Or you could wait for Lion this summer

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There use to be a joke that the first thing Mac users did when they unpacked their new machine was to throw away the manual b/c Macs are so intuitive. Then Apple took the joke seriously and stopped providing manuals. Ha. Turns out that was about the time Macs started getting more complicated (but really not that much, and certainly nothing compared to Windows).

David Pogue's book it pretty good. I think it's called, appropriately enough, Missing Manual. But with 10.7 rolling down the alley here, I'm not sure I'd waste even a buck on a 10.6 book because 10.7 looks to change some old ways of doing things, and by the time you have your computer 10.7 will be out.

Apple has some good free "how to" video tutorials here: http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

9. zhiggz macrumors newbie

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I used this when I switched to the Mac and found it great. It's written for Windows PC users going to the Mac.

11. whoda macrumors member

whoda

I think you have already found one of your greatest resources right here. The books will probably help, but remember that there are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here at the forums to helps us.

When I switched in 2009, I found that most things took longer. Reason being is that I could just not get it in my head that things did not have to be as cumbersome as I had been used to and I would get lost playing around in my Mac and lose track of time.