Book to get Started

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nxfxcom, Jan 8, 2009.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

Hello,

i am currently building Web Applications in JSP and PHP, i would like to get started developing OSX Desktop Applications and some iPhone Applications,

what book would help me to get started best?

Like i said, i know some programming for the Web, but not C or whatever else i may need Cocoa or so, please advise

Thank you

2. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

1) Wrong place. It should be under Mac Programming.

2) Search. There are literally billions of these threads.

Anyways, here's my advice:

Since you know basic programming concepts (loops, functions, etc.), I would say read "Programming In Objective-C" by Steven Kochan. Its aimed at people who have never programmed before, so you can skim through those chapters. After that, read "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" (3rd edition) by Aaron Hillegass. That is the single best book for learning Cocoa. Cocoa Touch, which you use for iPhone apps, is very similar to Cocoa, so a good book on iPhone development will work. There are tons of books on this, and a simple search on Amazon will find tons of books.

3. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry,

i did not see that Section of the forum, yeah i looked at that, i think i will go with Programming In Objective-C, the only reason i hesitated was that it says on the beginning you should know C, but i will give it a shot

THANK YOU