Book to learn C?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by thedon1, Jul 31, 2010.

1. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I am trying to get into iphone developement but don't really have any experience.

I have read that it is better to learn C first and then objective C. Would you agree with that?

Any C books to get me started?

2. thedon1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good stuff, looks like The C Programming Language (2nd Edition) is what i will be getting.

Do you guys reccomend anything else? Is the C for dummies book any good? I've read it's aimed at absolute begginers. While i know VB, C is very new for me. Is it worth picking up?

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Visit a book store or public library to look at the book, or borrow it from someone you know. If you already understand everything you see, don't buy it.

VB isn't much like C, except they have similar control structures (conditionals, loops, functions/subroutines). Types and pointers are two big differences, and pointers in particular can be a struggle, especially the relationship between C pointers and arrays.

4. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Try to get something up to date, like Modern C Programming. The classic one your talking about has a good core base way to implement proper code, but its still outdated.

Also iPhone development focuses highly on OOP (Object-Oriented Programming) So try to learn Obj-C & Cocoa.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It's hardly outdated at all and by far the best book on C.

6. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I've had a quick look through both SK's and K&R's C programming books and they are both very good, but SK's book is less formal and might be better for some people.

7. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani