Book to read while i'm not at a computer?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by thedon1, May 5, 2014.

1. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I started a new job and don't want to get into the habit of eating lunch at my desk while working (like i did in my old job!).

Programming and iOS development is something that isn't my full-time job so I thought having a good book to read while being at lunch might be a good idea.

I would guess it's something less about the actual code and more about theory but I have no idea if books like this exist.

Any recommendations would be great.

2. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Apple framework guides.
    Less about code more about how to use the various frameworks. Interesting reading.

There are a lot of guides in Apple's supplied documentation that are good to read to get in the mindset of Cocoa.

Other options.
    -Google and few others put out their own Objective-c style guides.
    -Any number of app developers have good blogs that talk more about problem solving process in cocoa and cocoa touch.

Apps aren't just code so consider a book or two on general problem solving or design.

3. joshuatbrown macrumors newbie

If you haven't already read The Pragmatic Programmer, I'd highly recommend that. It's about programming in general - not specific to Objective-C - and still relevant today, 15 years later. I'm a better iOS developer for having read it.

If you want something specific to iOS/Objective-C, you might like Effective Objective-C - I've heard great things about it, and the Amazon reviews are good.