Book to start learning C-objective

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by themis.b, Mar 29, 2013.

1. themis.b macrumors newbie

Hello guys :)
    Well, i am an undergraduate student ,currently on second semester at Informatics University of my country, and until now we have given emphasis at C (use it for creating a simple game with some artificial intelligence with printf graphics ofc (lol) ) . So, by far i have no previous experience with object-oriented languages . Well, which book will you advise me to start learning obj.C ?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. themis.b thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it me that Hillegass makes some comparison, between C and obj.C ? Read only the first pages, he says ("#import is equivalent to #include of C),so does he continue to make this comparison through the book?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Objective-C 2.0 is a strict superset of C, but no. Hillegass uses the first 70 pages or so to teach what you need to know of C and then moves on. Kochan's approach assumes/requires no previous knowledge of C and teaches Obj-C as if to someone who has never programmed before.

B

5. themis.b thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha dilemma ! Any book refers something about cocoa/openGL ?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

We're in the iOS subforum. Are you asking about Cocoa or Cocoa Touch? They are different animals.

B

7. dejo, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What is your overall goal? To learn object-oriented programming? To learn Objective-C? To learn 2D/3D graphics programming? What?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:p

Answer me these questions three:

• What is your name?
    • What is your quest?
    • What is the air speed velocity of a unladen swallow?

Seriously, you started out asking about Obj-C and OOP and have moved to OpenGL. Given your experience do you think you are ready for Cocoa/OpenGL without some OOP experience first?

B

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'd prefer that final question be: What... is your favorite color?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Maybe for this forum we should make it:

What ... is your favorite programming language?

B

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Blue--no, YQL!

12. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

European or African? :)

13. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

You have quite a few areas of study to work on.

First, there's OOP and OOD (Object oriented programming and Object oriented design.) This is a different way of thinking, and requires study to master. I would strongly suggest studying object oriented programming in university since you're there. You could use Objective C as the language you use to learn OOP, but I don't know of any university courses that teach OOP using Objective C. Java is much more common.

Then there is the objective C language. The books mentioned are a good start.

Next there are the iOS frameworks. Cocoa Touch is a big part of that, but there are also the foundation frameworks. Learning the iOS frameworks is a bigger job than learning Objective C, since Objective C is a relatively minor set of Object-Oriented extensions to C. It's a fairly small language. The iOS frameworks, however, are broad, deep, and very rich. It takes several years of intense study to learn them well. I've been doing iOS development since mid 2008, and full-time since the beginning of 2009, and did quite a bit of Mac OS development before that. There are still big chunks of the iOS frameworks I've never used. It's just the nature of the beast.

The good news is that the iOO frameworks are elegantly designed and internally consistent, so once you start to get the hang of the design philosophy, it makes sense. You can be productive in a few months, but don't expect true fluency to come quickly.

OpenGL is another big subject all on it's own. You need a solid grounding in 3D computer graphics, trig, matrix math/linear algebra, and probably a few other sub-discaplines in order to really handle OpenGL, and even then, the learning curve is VERY steep. The API is more low-level than the iOS frameworks, and require a strong understanding of C, pointers, etc.