Book/Tutorial for Numbers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jparker402, Aug 20, 2016.

1. jparker402 macrumors member

Slowly getting switched over from Windows to my new MacBook Air. Did get the Pogue book on El Capitan, though think it is way to advanced for me, at least at the moment. Now I am looking for something that will help me convert my Excel personal finances spreadsheet to Numbers, and than maintain it. A kind lady at Apple got me started on Mail, and showed me that by going to Help on Mail, it could look at essential a manual. Tried that with Numbers but no success; no such manual there.

Really like manuals so that I can lay the book down by the computer and refer to both at the same time. Haven't gotten used to split screen. As an alternative, could work Numbers on the Mac and look at tutorial on the Windows HP. Suggestions welcomed! Thanks!!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I use Office for the Mac. Current version is 2016 but many folks are still using the 2011 version. Standard version contains Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote. You can purchase it discounted from Amazon and many other on line sellers. Then, you won't have to worry about learning Numbers, Pages, or Keynote. ;)

3. jparker402 thread starter macrumors member

That is certainly a thought. Does Excel for Mac have that freeze cells capability? There are some things I really like about Excel, but all-in-all it has more features (and complications) then I will ever need.

4. jparker402 thread starter macrumors member

Oops! Not sure I am liking the price tag I see to get Excel if I already have Numbers.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://www.apple.com/mac/numbers/compatibility/

This might help you.

Also, David Pogue has a book that covers the iWork suite (Pages/Numbers/Keynote).

6. jparker402 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmmm. The link indicates that frozen panes are not supported, but read or was told by someone before being the Mac that Numbers did have the frozen pane feature. Also, is IWork the same as the current Numbers, etc?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... iWork is just what Apple calls the whole suite of apps. Kinda like MS Office.

8. jparker402 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! And this is me trying to provide a reference to where I might have gotten freezing panes in numbers. (Don't really know how to provide a link yet).
    Okay, so much for that! Have no idea how to make a link with the iPhone.