book vs pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by giantdave, Nov 29, 2007.

1. giantdave macrumors member

what difference would a macbook pro and a macbook be? ive got a pro with a 2ghz processor, but what would be the difference in gettin a 2ghz macbook and an external monitor? i bought this one with too little hard drive and i can get a macbook with the same processor, more ram and a bigger hard drive for alot cheaper than i bought the pro.

edit: ill be using it mostly for photo editing and photoshop. maybe a little video editing

suggestions?

2. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Pro's have a dedicated graphics card. for programs that use graphics like photoshop, video editing, games etc., the pro is recomended.
    Also with Pro you have a choice of the matte screen, which is useful if your printing photographs, because they will come out closer to what you see on the screen than a glossy display.
    If i were in your possition, I'd stick with the Pro and get an external HD

3. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Go Pro

From the sounds of it the Pro would be better for you. Not that the MB wouldn't work fine because it would. I just think months down the road you will be much happier with the pro with the dedicated graphics...makes everything just that much quicker...

4. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

i definetly see that the graphics will be improved. i just wondered if the fact that i have a very low end mbp would make a difference. i just barely had enough money to get it, so i ended up gettin it refurb like this

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08

so in that chart, my mbp is lower than the ones on there. so ill prolly just keep usin it, get some ram, and use externall hdd's

5. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

You will most definitely want to get more RAM.....as for everything else you will still be better off than the MB because this model still comes with a graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon X1600) that is the big thing in your case..

6. giantdave thread starter macrumors member

ya, the ram is killing me. i need to find where to get ram that doesnt cost 300 like it does frm apple

7. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Ramjet.com or crucial.com I have ordered from both and had no problems. The favorite around here seems to be Crucial....I would go with that....you could take it to 2 GB for about a 52 dollars....that would help you a ton.....

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

AFAIK Photoshop is processor bound, as is video encoding, so the graphics won't make much difference.

What might make more difference is the size of the display if you're doing photo work, and the fact that you cant hook a macbook up to a 30" screen.

9. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Yeah that is also very important...I'm sure you won't be working on just the 13 inch or 15 inch screen of the laptop.....so that is a really nice feature to be able to hook up the 30 inch....

10. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Crucial is your best bet.