Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indigotheory

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
As above, im looking into writing a book. Kinda like an autobiography, which would be the best software for it.

Thanks in advance

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
A lot of people seem to like and recommend Scrivener

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Any word processor can write books. Notepad from Windows can do it. This 'Book Writing' software is just utter nonsense. I've written novels, a couple of which are at the publishers now being reviewed, and I just used Pages. Many authors just open up Microsoft Word and start typing. No 'Book Writing' software is going to help you write a novel at the end of the day. Just use your favourite Word Processor, whether it be Pages, Word, OpenOffice or even TextEdit if that is what you wish.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Any word processor can write books. Notepad from Windows can do it. This 'Book Writing' software is just utter nonsense. I've written novels, a couple of which are at the publishers now being reviewed, and I just used Pages. Many authors just open up Microsoft Word and start typing. No 'Book Writing' software is going to help you write a novel at the end of the day. Just use your favourite Word Processor, whether it be Pages, Word, OpenOffice or even TextEdit if that is what you wish.

Beg to differ. Scrivener is fantastic and offers a wide range of tools designed to help the novelist--The corkboard is particularly useful. But the ability to organize snippets of text, move them around, etc are invaluable.

daceymathers

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
newyork
As above, im looking into writing a book. Kinda like an autobiography, which would be the best software for it.

Thanks in advance

I think the best writing software for writing autobiography is literal software.Literal software is specially designed to write the long pieces of text.
It has various advanced features like binder,split screen etc.One can also import old files in current document.

daceymathers

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
newyork

I agree that there is no need for a writing software for writing a novel or a book anyone can write a novel on a simple editor but the main purpose of software of writing software is to provide an ease to the writers for writing novel or book.Ms-word is relevant for writing purpose but when it comes to manually adding revision it creates a problem.It does not have specialized tools for writing.It can keep a one longer document but can not combine a bunch of smaller document.

victoria stiles

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011

Thanks in advance

“Scrivener is a word processor and project management tool created specifically for writers of long texts such as novels and books. It won’t try to tell you how to write – it just makes all the tools you have scattered around your desk available in one application.” Another software I use is latex. LaTeX is what you should be using if you write things

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Without doubt, the most dely used equipment used in the writing of books, novels etc is paper and pen/pencil. ;)

The book/novel is in the head of the writer. The medium to record it is immaterial and has no effect on the result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.