BookArc for iPad - Don't bother if you use a skin - With Pics

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by rtkane, May 7, 2010.

1. rtkane macrumors regular

rtkane

I bought the BookArc for iPad yesterday and got it home to test out. It's a substantial piece of heavy gauge steel that seems very nicely designed and would be great to hold the iPad. Except there's a problem... it doesn't work if you intend to use it with a case even though they supply a second insert that's supposed to be used with a case. Here's what I'm talking about if you aren't familiar with it:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The insert in the pic above is "supposed" to work with skins (I have an iLuv Flexi-Clear TPU case which is ultra thin). The problem is that I think they developed that "skin" insert prior to having a production model, because it doesn't work. When you put the iPad in, it just flops over forward like in the pictures below:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

According to TwelveSouth's blog on the product, this is a known issue and the solution is to use the BookArc WITHOUT the insert in place. I think this is a huge mistake if you do this and wrote to them about it (which I have not received a reply on) because while it does work, if someone accidentally bumps the iPad and it shifts from leaning backwards to leaning forwards, it's going to put a huge amount of pressure right on the glass of the iPad and I'd bet it'll crack some screens:

[​IMG]

Like I said, it does a nice job without a case on in the insert, but there's no way I'm taking the chance of using it without an insert where there's a high likelihood of damage to the iPad. Their instructions to do so seem ill-advised.

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I thought it was just me!! It was driving me mad the way the iPad leaned in the wrong direction with the insert....... I briefly considered trying it without the insert but quickly realized the potential hazards in doing so. Last thing I need to do is to damage my iPad by an inadvertent jostle that bumps the screen against that metal!!!

3. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I thought they were recommending you use it the other way around? I think they called it a 'work' mode and 'consume' mode or something weird like that.
    Still not good by any means, I was half considering this stand.

Edit: That's 'work mode' and 'storage mode'. Actually I don't think that refers to your problem at all.....argh it's all so confusing haha.

4. Dfndr90 macrumors regular

Dfndr90

I love the idea of the BookArc, but I returned mine for the same issues as addressed above.

5. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

I've seen a couple of these types of stands recently. Is anyone worried about the pressure on the bottom cracking the case. While it looks like it was meant to be a stand, you can rest assured that people will be working the screen while it is in this stand.

6. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

You said "skin" when you meant to say "case." Someone change this thread's subject for the folks that have skins on their iPads - because man, BookArc is the best thing ever for those that go case-less.

7. xraytech macrumors 68030

Here's a fix for the case user.

ONLY FOR CASE USERS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]