BookArk or Henge Docks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EwanMcTeagle, Jun 26, 2012.

1. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Hi,
    I know there has been a thread similar to this one recently, but it didn't get to any conclusion, at least not the one that would answer my questions.

A short introduction:
    I'm planning to get a 15 MBP for Christmas (I know, it's still a long time away, but I like to be prepared and have everything sorted out beforehand).
    Before that I was thinking about getting an iMac, but got convinced that since I have a quite nice, week old:) IPS Dell monitor for my hackintosh (which is slowly reaching its age after 6 years), it would be a waste and the MBP as desktop setup is more rational in the sense that I get a desktop and a laptop at the same time. And since I already have a 13 MBP, the 15" would sit still on the desktop most of the time.

Anyways djmoody suggested I got myself a BookArk for a nice desktop setup. I must say it looks very nice (aesthetically better than Henge Docks in my opinion, plus no need for screwing the cables onto it). Nevertheless I would like to ask for your expertise. Which one would you recommend: BookArk or Henge Docks or maybe there's another contender?

I also have a question that I would like you to take into consideration when giving your input guys:
    Do you have to get the MBP out of the Ark (or the Henge Dock) and open it up every time you want to turn it on? Or is there some kind of switch, button or just a simple way around it?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

When I was looking at docking options I decided that BookEndz docking stations were the sturdiest and most practical. Unfortunately, they are also the most expensive that I found...

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

3. EwanMcTeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Thanks. That looks like the best solution... but the price, the price! :)
    Maybe I'll be able to save up some cash.

Thanks again for the idea.

4. Mojo1, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

You're welcome. Yes, it's a pricey dock but it seems to be much better constructed and more functional. If you plan on removing the MBP a lot it seems like the BookEndz is the way to go. If the MBP is going to sit on your desk most of the time you may not even need a dock.

BTW, after reading your original post I realized that we are in something of the same boat. And after a lot of thought I have decided to buy a Mac Mini when they are updated. I already have a 13" MBP that I share with my wife, as well as a very nice 24" NEC display. The MBP that I had planned to buy to replace my 2006 iMac would stay on the desk most of the time, so it makes sense to me to just buy a Mac Mini and save some money (including what I would have spent on a dock).

If it turns out that I need another portable Mac I'll just get another base model 13" MBP, probably through the Apple refurb section. The Mac Mini/MBP combo will cost about the same as a 15" MBP. I owned a 15" MBP but it was too large for me; I like to travel light with only two carry on bags and the 15" MBP is just a tad too large for me. I add a Power Support anti-glare film to my 13" MBP/iPad to get around the glare issue.

5. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

6. MikeSchulenberg macrumors newbie

I was just looking for desktop solutions for my MBP 13 and was considering the BookArc. I ended up going with this instead and I love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Design-1...&qid=1340831834&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+stand

What decided it for me was the fact that it's designed to hold pretty much any size laptop, where the BookArc seems to come in two different sizes, one for MBP and one for MBA. I wanted something that would still fit regardless of what kind of laptop I wanted to use it with in the future.

The design is nice too. It matches my MBP quite well.

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Ouch, I would rather apply that $ to a new ACD. :eek: Kind of lame it doesn't include it's own Magsafe connection.

8. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I have had both and I highly recommend the BookArk. I used the hengedock for about a year and I started to notice that it was overheating my computer. I would highly recommend that you do not use a hengedock. My computer eventually started shutting down due to the overheating and I decided to switch to the BookArk, which I love!

9. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Neither the Book Arc nor the Rain Design stand are "docks." They are simply portable computer stands.

BookEndz has a fix available to address the MagSafe issue. I don't recall considering it to be an issue for me but it has been so long I do not remember how it works. YMMV.