Bookbook + Hard case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by r.kirkerrr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. r.kirkerrr macrumors member

I'm on the verge on receiving my first new Apple laptop. buzzing. I have a Bookbook all ready and waiting for it's arrival, but wanted to know if the purchase of a hard case is a smart move?

i probably won't be using the laptop within the bookbook too much and could really do with the extra protection from scratches etc given that i will be using it on a fairly cluttered desk in my university studio.

Would the Bookbook comfortably accomodate a MBA with a speck see thru?

2. jeffg819 macrumors regular

Might be a tight fit.

I use a BookBook most of the time with my MBA but also have Ghost Armor film on the computer as well.

Not sure there's enough room for a Speck case.

3. r.kirkerrr thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Would you rate the ghost armour? It's an invisible shield of sorts so I presume it does well to prevent any nicks on the aluminium. Thanks for the help!

4. minnus macrumors 6502

Surely overkill.By adding a BookBook and a hardcase, you're literally doubling the weight of the macbook air.

I use mine without protection, and carry it around in a sleeve. No scratches, dings, or dents - and I travel quite a bit.

5. glen e, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

glen e macrumors 68030

I agree, you're overthinking it...the book book will work fine and plenty strong...last summer I did about 5000 miles with it all over the country driving, repacking it every day with no problems...put a skin on the top and bottom if you're gonna use it outside the BB....I use icarbons.com

6. r.kirkerrr thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Much appreciated help. just a highly anticipated purchase so i'm a bit nervy on keeping it neat.

I'm going to brave al fresco with the bookbook. The laptop is so overdue, that I've had the book book for 7 months nearly now. Aouch :/

7. r.kirkerrr thread starter macrumors member

Much appreciated help. just a highly anticipated purchase so i'm a bit nervy on keeping it neat.

I'm going to brave al fresco with the bookbook. The laptop is so overdue, that I've had the book book for 7 months nearly now. Aouch :/

8. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I agree with the previous posters^^^

I would use just the cookbook case...there's not really a point to using both that and a hard case.

9. jeffg819 macrumors regular

I really like the Ghost Armor thus far (about a month of use). They have a matte version that allows the beauty of the aluminum to shine through and it covers the front, back, and keyboard area (I took it off the trackpad. I like the feel of the glass surface better).

So regardless of whether I want to use the BookBook (out and about in coffee shops) or use the machine "naked" (around the house), I'm covered!

10. Fastball32 macrumors member

Whoah, after reading all of the posts, I have to say I'm in the OCD minority.

My 11" MacBook Air currently has a Zagg shield that I installed right when I opened it. I had a Speck See-Thru black Satin cover that was from my 2010 model which I ended up snapping on top of the Zagg.
    With those two things, I agree I'm protected. The only reason why I added the Speck, is that it covers potential dents much better than a Zagg. Also the Zagg does not cover the black feet on the bottom, so the Speck will help with dirt and wear of the black feet.
    I also have the BookBook for when I travel with the Air. The BookBook protects most of the ports from dust in my book bag, and cushions it from further bumps and dings. Also, when I don't use the MBA at home, I place it in the BookBook and it looks like furniture/art in my home. Although it's a tight fit, it does fit. The speck is not a perfect fit with the Zagg installed and if I had to get rid of one, it would probably be the Speck due to it not fitting perfectly.