BookBook Macbook air 13 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Chrisbkreme, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Chrisbkreme macrumors member

I really like this case, and would like to get one. I was wondering what "walk-in" stores people have seen them in? I know I can order online, but I'd rather not have to wait for it to come if I don't need to. Note: I have checked my local Apple Store already. Thanks!

2. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Haven't seen them in stores. You might also want to consider >

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/pad-quills-book-like-cartella-case-for-macbook-air/

I don't like having to deal with zippers. Especially in close proximity to the outer edge of my MBA. I've had other devices held cases with zippers; the zipper teeth on the interior rub against the outer edges of your device scratching it. Depends on how you're holding it. Now I just use a soft neoprene sleeve.

3. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

It's really a shame, the BookBook is such a cool look and idea. It's too bad it's (in my mind) fatally flawed with the zipper being exposed. Seems they could have dreamed up a way to protect against that.

Such a good looking product. :mad:

4. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

The zipper has a special coating on it (it is some kind of see-through silicone) so even if it touches your MBA, it won't damage it.

I've had BookBook case for my old MBP 15" and I have it now for my current MBA 13" (and my GF has it for her's MBP 13") - They all have this coating on the zippers.

Go and buy it ;)

5. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

Stop! Before you cost my wife 70 bucks :cool:

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have this for my 13" Air. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, you won't find them in stores, as 12 South is only selling them online (Apple Store, Amazon, etc.). I haven't seen them anywhere else.

As far as the zippers go, they don't get as near the Mac as people make them out to be, and yes, they are coated so no damage from scratching or scraping comes to the Mac.

That being said, I really do recommend it.

BL.

7. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

8. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Actually, they do sell it in stores - therefore you can take a look at it before you buy it. Here is a list:
    http://twelvesouth.com/where-to-buy/north-america/

They also sell it in a store where I work in Germany :)

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

Seems you could have dreamed up a way to learn the facts.

10. P0stalTek, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

Seems like I could if I cared. I read that bit here, from people who DO own the case.

Or you could just make another useless post about the uselessness of my post? :roll eyes:

If you read nearly ANY of these threads, there is always at least 1 BookBook owner who claims the zipper scratched their MBA. Say what you want, but that's the only "facts" that I have available. Also, it's why I choose to read for hours on this forum - to keep up with reviews and new products.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

For some reason the Apple Store UK doesn't sell the MBA version, despite stocking the 15 and 13" MBP BookBooks. Useless!

12. glen e macrumors 68030

If you are scratching your MBA in some way, it's because you are sloppy in keeping it in the case and then being reckless when you close it. My MBA sits inside the zipper operation space and has never been scratched, and it just saw extreme duty on the road for 2 months being zipped about 5 - 7 times a day.

Get the book, it's very well built and thought out...

13. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I can't believe nobody commented on this. ALways seems like every case has some flaw. The book book shows the zipper which gives away its not a book. In the case of this I actually think its like 100 times better looking than book book and has a real neat look inside the way it holds the laptop its priceless but I kind of hate how they left the port open so even when its closed you can see the ports, hence causing them to get dirty and showing again that its not a book lol AHHHH attention to detail people

14. Coarseman macrumors member

Does not look even half as good as the BookBook for me.

On the possibility of the zipper scratching the device- I keep both my MBA and iPad in BookBooks and never ever have noticed any scratches.
    The zipper itself is made of plastic,which is softer than the surface of the devices so I do not really see how it can damage them in any way...

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

More people are familiar with the bookbook, either/or because it came out first or is featured on the apple online store.

I don't perfection is something to be obtained in this case. I have the bookbook and like it, and haven't had a problem with the zipper. Though I was disappointed by the zipper's giveaway of the case's secret. The other case does look pretty cool, however.

The exposed port on the other case is probably a design choice that allows it to be charged without taking it out of the case.

16. glen e macrumors 68030

In the macrumor world of demanding absolute OCD perfection that we do so well here, the bookbook fails miserably because of the dreaded zipper.

In the real world of normal people. it goes right by the public. I used my bookbook on a registration table for an event every day for two months and no one ever remarked "it looks like a book but I can see the zipper". Instead at least 50 times in two months, I heard "what's with the old book, some type of journal?"

There is life outside this asylum........

17. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I fail to see the problem here...

BookBook has a coated zipper, so it will not scratch your MacBook (talking from my experience with 3 different BookBooks and MacBooks).

Also the "zipper gives it away" argument is false imho. BookBook is a case that >looks like a book<. Its purpose is to protect your MacBook while looking like a book. Its purpose is not to go all stealth-invisible-on-the-bookshelf-mode on your MacBook...

18. LRJordan macrumors member