Booked my Gap Year to Oz! Suggestions on Hostels/B&Bs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hey Hey Hey!

I've just booked my flight to Oz, NZ, Fiji and L.A!

I'm looking for advice on cheap Hostels in Oz and NZ, or maybe B&Bs (hopefully someone at MR has a business in the family.. *cough* discount *cough cough*).

If anyone has any suggestions for work out there, that would be great. :)

I'm so stoked to go, I fly out on the 29th of December.. and get to Melbourne in time for the New Year.. awesome.

Anyway.. I kinda can't type right now since I am so excited.

WAHOOOOO!

2. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

*bump*

begging for an answer from someone.. pwease :eek:

3. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Unfortunately I can't help you but it should be a really great year! :)

What are your plans?

4. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Travel, sight see, experience life in another country. Stay in Hostels, which so far look bloody lovely compared to the British ones. Urm.. a spot of work in Oz and NZ... and then relax in Fiji and be all Britney-like in LA. (OK, not quite Britney-like, but just be lazy and shop).

Whoopwhoop.

5. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

Check out www.bootsnall.com, it's a great travel site and should have all the info you need plus great forums as well. I wish I had done a gap year myself right out of high school or college (I'm 29 now), but Im' planning extended travel next year so that will be fun. :)

6. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks, I'll give it a look. I can't wait!

7. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

What's gap year? Is 2008 sponsored by Gap clothing? :confused:

As for accomdation recommendations, definitely take a look at http://www.tripadvisor.com . One of my favorite websites.

8. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

A gap year is basically taking a year off to travel, volunteer, work overseas, see the world. Usually it's done right after high school or college, but not always. It seems to be more prevalent overseas, especially in the UK and Australia, whereas in the US most go right to college or find a job quickly.

9. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Oh, okay. I knew it was either that or he was referring to the gap between 2007 and 2008. I wish I could do that after I finished high school.

So, are you just going to spend all that time in Australia, NZ, Fiji, and LA? I certainly hope not.

10. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Sounds fantastic. I'm jealous. :)

hmmm... that would be tricky ;):p

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

If you took it literally, I suppose so.

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Sounds exciting!

I wish I could be more helpful with accommodation but seeing as I live here I don't ever really pay much attention. :eek: If you look at some of the hostel websites they have really good user reviews which make it easier to pick a place (as I've just discovered because I'm heading to Europe and the US in November). Location wise I'd recommend somewhere in the CBD which makes it really easy to get just about anywhere. If not there then somewhere in St. Kilda would be cool.

New Years should be fun, there are always thousands of people out along the river and throughout the city to watch the fire works. There's also a lot of bands and street performers out on the night.

If there's anything else you want to know, just ask. :)

13. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm in St. Kilda over new Years.. and staying in Melbourne for the first 3 weeks or so. :) Your hometown!

14. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

15. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

A nice site for short(ish) accommodation is:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/ which covers many major cities in Australia (though it was originally set up for expats in London)

St Kilda's nice. A strange mix of prostitutes, drug dealers, bohemian types, trendy hipsters and your average tosspots. :) I tried finding a place there after a year away in Japan but the rental market is brutal at the moment. So instead I'm off to London soon.

Where in Australia are you planning on going?

16. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Melbourne is where we're landing in Oz. We'll stay there for a few weeks, and wer recommended St. Kilda's by STA (the people who we booked with).

We're probably going to hit Sydney at some point, and we've flying from Perth to New Zealand.. other than that, we have no plan at all!

Spontaneous. :)