Bookkeeping software for UK self employed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rmwebs, May 10, 2011.

1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Hi all,

I recently started up as self employed and am looking to see if there are any decent mac based accounting packages for UK self employed individuals.

I should note that I dont want anything like Quickbooks or Sage as they generally are designed for LTD companies, and after trying them found them to be overkill for self-employed accounts.

Anyone know of any decent packages?

2. Liquid Accounts macrumors newbie

Cloud Accounting Software

The best thing you can do is have a look at some of the newer online/cloud accounting software - because it's web-based it doesn't matter what operating system you use and therefore works just as well on Macs or PCs (and is generally available on your iphone and ipad too!). Most of the software that's out there is designed to be easy to use and tailored for the self-employed or small companies. I'd take a look at KashFlow or FreeAgent (or even Xero) if I were you. (We're also one of the market-leaders in cloud accounting software but ours is designed more for SMEs).

Hope that helps.

Lisa
    Liquid Accounts Ltd
    www.liquidaccounts.net

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

My Wife's self employed and uses KashFlow (www.kashflow.co.uk) - it's a cloud based on-line service and works really well from what she tells me.
    It's completely browser based and works perfectly with the iPad as well as a Mac (which is a bonus), and there's even an iPhone optimised app so you can do your invoicing on the move from anywhere.

I've no affiliation at all with Kashflow - I'm just married to a happy user of it :)

4. MacAccounts macrumors newbie

A bit late to this thread but in case it's still beind read would recommend Solar Accounts (www.solaraccounts.co.uk) for anyone self-employed or a small UK based business.

It runs on Mac and PC (so handy if you are Mac and your bookkeeper is PC) and is very easy to use.

Have to confess that we sell it through the website (with a discount) but we also use it after trying several of the others.

5. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

I did try SolarAccounts however it doesn't support multi-currency, which I need :(