Bookmark pull-down menus in Firefox and Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mc73, May 28, 2008.

1. mc73 macrumors newbie

I have recently switched from a Dell Latitude notebook to MacBook Pro. I am running both Firefox and Safari on my MBP and am using both regularly. In Firefox for PCs, I was able to access the Bookmarks pulldown menu by hitting CTRL + B. I could then select a bookmark by typing its first letter.

I can't seem to find a keyboard shortcut that will access the Bookmarks pull-down menu in either Safari or Firefox for Mac. I know that CMD + B will open the bookmarks sidebar in Firefox, but I'd prefer not to have to open the sidebar. I just want to access my bookmarks like I was used to in Firefox for PC. Anyone know how to do this or how to program a keyboard shortcut to do it?

Thanks.

2. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

The closest option I could find for this situation after I switched to a Mac last year was to use the shortcut "Ctrl + F2" (Fn + Ctrl + F2 for laptops) to hilight the Apple menu the hit the letter "B" then arrow through the bookmarks.

3. mc73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, Wheelie 4. It's cumbersome, but it does work. If anyone figures out anything faster than that, let me know.

Also, if anyone knows of a way to program keyboard shortcuts in Firefox or Safari, please post.

4. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

I actually changed the Fn + Ctrl + F2 to Ctrl + M eliminating the need to use the Fn key in the shortcut.

In System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts you can add or change shortcuts. At the bottom you choose the application. But you can't add them to open dropdown menu's like Ctrl+F to open the File menu, only things within the menu.

Shortcut changing video HERE

5. mc73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Wheelie4! That's a big help. When I have more time to play with all the shortcuts, I may do some major changes. But for now, this works.