Bookmark syncing program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MindBrain, Jun 3, 2010.

1. MindBrain macrumors regular

Hey can anyone say what the best option is for a program that syncs bookmarks between multiple browsers. One that maybe shows all the bookmarks in a dropdown from the menu bar and possibly free. I tried Bookit, but it doesn't even support firefox. Thanks

2. bier-meister macrumors regular

I've tried Bookit and purchased the new version of it (bookmaster I think is the name), but it was just a pain to use and if you deleted a bookmark in firefox, then used safari and came back to firefox, the bookmark would have returned.

I didn't want to have by bookmarks in the cloud but I caved in and opened an xmarks account, gave up waiting on their BYOS version for safari. It works really well and my bookmarks are kept in sync across safari, firefox and chrome. The only little annoyance I have with it is that it converts firefox separators into blank urls in safari. Shame that there is no BYOS version for safari :(

3. MindBrain thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm this seems like it would be such a simple program to make. Every time a browser program is loaded, it scans the bookmarks, adds them to a dropdown system menu, duplicate bookmarks get removed. Have an import/export function.

I went to try Xmark and canceled when I saw you need an account, i dont think i like this idea of "cloud" whatever, dont know what it is, my bookmarks on a server, so they can target ads or spam or what?

Edit: I'm gonna try out this "BookMacster" and see if that does the trick

4. smnlin macrumors newbie

try Delicious, developed by Yahoo.

Bookmarks are synchronized between firefox and IE on my PC and Mac, it turns out just fine.