Bookmark syncing question/issue

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thebiggfella, Nov 30, 2013.

1. thebiggfella macrumors newbie

Hello. I've recently noticed that bookmarks that I add to my iPad haven't been appearing on my iPhone. They used to do this via iCloud and I haven't changed anything. I switched Safari off on my iPhone and deleted all the bookmarks but they didn't re-populate from iCloud so I had to sync them with Internet Explorer using iTunes as this was the only way I could get them back on my phone.

I have iTunes set to synchronise both my iPad and iPhone with the Internet Explorer bookmarks when they are connected and in imy Cloud settings, I have the 'bookmarks with Internet Explorer' box checked as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why the iCloud is not synchronising my bookmarks properly now like it used to? From what I remember, it used to be pretty much instantaneous.

Also, the iCloud Tabs thing on my iPad always tells me that there are 'No iCloud Tabs' even though I know that there are tabs open on my iPhone. Any ideas as to how to get that working. It's never worked since I got my iPad.

Many thanks.

2. rasputinj macrumors regular

I have had intermittent issues with syncing. Normally it is fine for a month or two and then it has an issue and I have to set it up again. It should not be so hard to get sync working.

3. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    I've had a similar problem with iPhone 5s iPad mini, and Mac mini
    Only the iPhone picks up the other icloud tabs, the iPad and Mac mini only show each other and do not find the iphone tabs, I've tried many things but still the same

4. thebiggfella thread starter macrumors newbie

A quick update. Last night before bed, I synced all my bookmarks on iPad, iPhone and Dell laptop via iTunes on my laptop as iCloud as mentioned above, is not doing the job. Then I added a 'test bookmark' on my iPhone.

This morning, I checked my iPad and laptop but it hadn't appeared on either. It seems that the iCloud sync issue (and iCloud Tabs issue) is still present.

I'd be really grateful if anyone had any suggestions as to how to fix the issue. It also seems that I'm not the only one who's having these problems. It's really frustrating as I really like my iPad and iPhone but this is taking the shine off them.

5. thebiggfella thread starter macrumors newbie

This evening, I added a 'test bookmark' to my iPad and guess what, it hasn't appeared on my iPhone or laptop. This is ***** and so frustrating. :mad:

.... and don't get me started on iCloud Tabs. That thing has never worked. Useless.

6. thebiggfella thread starter macrumors newbie

I had pretty much given up on getting the bookmarks to sync between my iPad, iPhone and laptop. At one point earlier this week I even managed to delete all my bookmarks from each device using iTunes. However, I managed to retrieve them on my laptop and then synced it with the iPad and iPhone.

I then tried some test bookmarks again which didn't sync and I thought that the only way I'd be able to sync them was by using iTunes.

However, tonight after doing a routine sync and backup, I had cause to add a bookmark to my laptop and noticed that it synced automatically via iCloud with my iPad and iPhone. I added a few more to the laptop and they all synced as well so I tried adding one to my iPad and that also synced with the other two devices.

The bookmark syncing just started working again randomly after the routine syncs and backups of my iPad and iPhone. I didn't change any of the settings. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this. Very strange.

How long they continue to sync remains to be seen. iCloud Tabs isn't working though, never has but the syncing of the bookmarks is a nice surprise so long as they continue to sync.

7. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

My bookmarks are pretty much stuck in iCloud. No matter how many ways I resync it from my OSX Safari, it keeps using my OLD bookmarks to overwrite my current OSX bookmarks, instead of the other way around.

And here I thought once I have the latest MBP, OSX, iTunes, iPhone, iOS.. life would be easy. :roll eyes: Go :apple:

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Do either of you use private browsing? I just saw a thread on the apple forums about how private browsing borks the icloud bookmarks.

9. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

10. thebiggfella thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't use private browsing, never have. I read that it messes up iCloud Tabs but they don't work even though I don't use ti.

During my bookmark issue, I did find that when your device is connected to iTunes via a cable, you can change the 'your bookmarks are being synced by iCloud' to syncing them to Internet Explorer (under the "Info' tab I think) by going to settings > iCloud on your idevice and then switching off Safari. In iTunes, you'll then see the syncing bookmarks via Internet Explorer appear. If you want to sync IE bookmarks with your iDevices on a one off basis, don't forget to check the relevant box under the 'Advanced' section.

Handy if iCloud syncing is not working like is wasn't for me. I still don't know how or why my bookmarks began to sync via iClouds again though.