Bookmarking Issue with 10.5.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Boca, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Boca macrumors 6502

Hi, I have bookmark folders in toolbar. Up until recently I could "bookmark" and place the bookmark into one of the folders on the toolbar. Now the drop down choice is limited to 5 folders. I now save to unsorted then drag to the desired folder which is on the toolbar.

Is there a way to display all the folders in the drop down window instead of a few that are there now?

Maybe I have too many folders on the toolbar or ????

thanks to all who reply.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I wish I could help you, but you do not have a bookmarking issue with 10.5.8 because that is not your web browser, it's your operating system, and bookmarks are saved URLs for websites you plan to visit often. If you could identify your web browser, and its version, someone who uses the same browser might be able to help. One could assume that the browser you use is Safari 3 or 4, but that would be an educated guess based on the fact that it comes with, but is not the same as, your operating system.

3. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for setting me straight. I use Firefox. 3.5.4 version.
    Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hehe. So my assumption would have been wrong.

I just opened Firefox and moved half a dozen of my Bookmarks folders to the Bookmarks Toolbar. Most of them had at least 10 Bookmarks in them, and a few had folders within the folder as well. So, that pretty well establishes that you should be able to do it as before, regardless of the number of bookmarks.

The first suspect for me is always the plist file of the offending application. do you know how to troubleshoot that?

5. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Greg, thanks for the reply. Simple answer NO! Really a newbie here.
    I have no problem opening up the "organize" bookmarks and dragging more bms to tool bar folders. But the drop down list is still 4 and the folders shown change from time to time. Maybe based on which one I used last, or ???

Really don't know. It's just a time user to go to "organize" and drag and drop.

thanks for any info.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Before I go to the plist thing, some more clarification, please. How many items are in your Bookmarks Toolbar? Not the total including everything inside each folder, just how many folders and stand-alone sites are in the list when you view the Bookmarks Toolbar in Organize Bookmarks... Is it so many that they don't fit on the Toolbar, and you have to scroll to reveal some? I'm trying to get a handle on "the folders shown change from time to time".

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's based on which ones you used last. No big deal, though - click Choose and select the folder you want, if the one you want isn't in that list.

8. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

WWizard. That solved the issue. It was ME not the mac...(of course!!) I just didn't know that I could clik on the left hand side of the dropdown and it would show all the folders on the tool bar. Thanks, it keeps things flowing!!

Thanks to GGregg too for your help. And as to your question I have 20 folders. 17 on bar and 3 off the bar.

I love my macbook!

thanks to all!!:):):)