Bookmarks

Discussion in 'iMac' started by daansy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. daansy macrumors newbie

I've recently bought an iMac and can't see to add bookmarks. My iMac has imported my previous bookmarks from my iPad and these are under 'BOOKMARKS' on the left hand column, however when I click the + button it only gives me two options which are to add them to the bookmarks menu or the bookmarks bar, however when I do this neither of them go into the BOOKMARKS column. Am I being thick or this a fix for this?

Also is there a way I can permanently keep the bookmarks sidebar?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In Safari at the top of the menu bar you will see a + sign click this and you can add to your menu bar or elsewhere if you prefer..see the image attached! :)

Attached Files:

3. daansy thread starter macrumors newbie

when I click the + button it only gives me two options which are to add them to the bookmarks menu or the bookmarks bar, however when I do this neither of them go into the BOOKMARKS column.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

They do, its down to the size of your screen..a little arrow on the right hand side brings up the bookmarks that won't fit on your screen...Let me take another shot.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Look at the arrow which will reveal those bookmarks for you..

Attached Files:

• Bms.png
      Bms.png
      File size:
      7.6 KB
      Views:
  6. daansy thread starter macrumors newbie

On the left hand side there is no arrow, clicking on my bookmarks tab opens a new page (with bookmarks on) as well as the left hand tab which simply has my old bookmarks (BOOKMARKS) and then under COLLECTIONS it has bookmarks menu, history, rss feeds and bookmarks bar (407)

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Weird, Try clearing your Safari cache. If that fails, re-set Safari.

8. daansy thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I re-set safari? Cleared the cache and got nothing.

9. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I'm with daansy here, exactly the same behaviour and same lack of features as described by MacMan45. I'm using Lion fully updated BTW

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Top menu, file> reset Safari. This will delete all browsing history and restore Safari to its out of the box settings.

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Click on the Safari Menu (top of screen) > Reset Safari...

However, remember, resetting Safari will have no effect on Bookmarks and should be used with care!

To return to your original query and to attempt to avoid any further confusion, one way to add a bookmark s to click on "Bookmarks" at the top of the screen. Either click on "Add Bookmark" or "Add Bookmark Folder". The latter will enable you to create a folder in which to store your bookmarks e.g. forums, shopping, apple etc, etc. You can then add bookmarks to the relevant folder by clicking "Add Bookmark" and selecting the folder (this is the same as clicking the + sign on the immediate left of the Address Bar).

If you wish to organise your bookmark folders - i.e. put them in alphabetical order, create sub-folders within folders, rename or delete them etc, click on the open book ikon (on the extreme left of the Toolbar). Folders or bookmarks can then be clicked on and dragged to wherever you want them. New folders can be created by clicking the + sign at the bottom of the screen.

Like everything on the computer, the best way to learn how to do things is to play around and experiment. Don't forget there is always the Safari Help page.