Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
how to stop worrying and live your life by dale carnegie

i was a depressed lil man that used to post on these forums getting attention my parents never gave me with really bad middle child syndrome until i read this book.......... if anyones sad/nervous/anything like that read this book this guys a wise man with lots of respectable qualities ill tellya what!

love ya macrumors!

Reactions: WinkWink726

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
how to stop worrying and live your life by dale carnegie

i was a depressed lil man that used to post on these forums getting attention my parents never gave me with really bad middle child syndrome until i read this book.......... if anyones sad/nervous/anything like that read this book this guys a wise man with lots of respectable qualities ill tellya what!

love ya macrumors!

I was going to buy that book, now I'm definitely going to buy it. I worry way too much about useless stuff. :rolleyes:

Reactions: WinkWink726

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I was going to buy that book, now I'm definitely going to buy it. I worry way too much about useless stuff. :rolleyes:

Hey, definitely get that book if you feel it MAY help you. Words to live by, I still reference it if I am feeling down.

Any of Dale Carnegie's books are genius.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Any of Eckhart Tolle's books are mind-opening. A New Earth was my favourite. I actually enjoyed listening to him read it out loud in the car before I read the book. Extraordinary stuff!

~~~

The best book I have ever read thus far in life would be Napoleon Hill's Outwitting the Devil. The fact that he wrote it in the 1930's and it wasn't published until this century and the reasons why are pretty cool - the world makes more sense, and then you have a choice of where you want to play in it.

Reactions: 0002378

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I will second The Bible.

But beyond that, how about:
I Dare You by William Danforth (Founder of Ralston Purina)- "All the easy things have been done long ago. Now bring on the impossible!'

Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey

Anything by Robert Fulghum (All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten; Uh-Oh; It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It; et al)

Roberts Rules of Order - Almost all organizations say they run by Robert's Rules, but very few people actually know what they are. The incredible part is, it is really about making sure everyone who wants to speak is heard and the rights of everyone are protected.

And the best advice I ever received:
"Retire at the top of your game." - Dr. Richard Craig, Professor Emeritus of Horticultural Botany, Penn State University

"Getting two degrees from the same school is intellectual incest! - a retired plant physiologist from Clemson.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfgrad93

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Any of Eckhart Tolle's books are mind-opening. A New Earth was my favourite. I actually enjoyed listening to him read it out loud in the car before I read the book. Extraordinary stuff!

I loved A New Earth, too (and numerous other books/audiobooks) ! And, like you, I used to listen to all his audiobooks in my car on drives ... really opened my eyes.

If I may ask, what prompted you to listen to Eckhart ?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I’ll be a bit controversial then and say that the best advice given to me was not from a book but from a friend who didn’t believe in God and didn’t care for religion as a concept. Simply put, even if there is a God, why is it so important to believe in one? Humans instinctively know right from wrong. So, I pondered this for a while and then dropped the idea that I was religious. Living guilt free is the way to go.

Reactions: jbarley

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I’ll be a bit controversial then and say that the best advice given to me was not from a book but from a friend who didn’t believe in God and didn’t care for religion as a concept. Simply put, even if there is a God, why is it so important to believe in one? Humans instinctively know right from wrong. So, I pondered this for a while and then dropped the idea that I was religious. Living guilt free is the way to go.

No controversy at all friend. You alone get to choose how to live your life and I respect your ability to make that choice.

Volusia

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2016
Central Florida
Been quite a while, but the Seven Daily Habits of Highly Effective People. Primary the segment regarding your circle of influence; if the issue isn't in your circle of influence, move on. Saved me a lot of headaches over the years.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Been quite a while, but the Seven Daily Habits of Highly Effective People. Primary the segment regarding your circle of influence; if the issue isn't in your circle of influence, move on. Saved me a lot of headaches over the years.

Hey, I've heard a bit about that book. I find it interesting.

Can you elaborate a bit on the issue and circle of influence thing you mentioned ? With an example, perhaps.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Here are a few, not from a book, but personal experience...

- Never go to bed angry. If you're in a relationship, work it out before sleeping.
- Never engage in debate with people who are rabidly into feminism, religion or politics. You are wasting your time and falling into their trap.
- Don't lose your temper with somebody... even if you are right - best thing to do is keep calm and not say anything. For 2 reasons. 1. It's better for your general well being and 2. This doesn't allow them to know how you are really feeling and gives you the advantage. The unknown is more scary than the known.
- Never divulge personal information to anybody unless it's absolutely needed. If you are in a work environment, this information could later be used against you.
- Always be friendly and polite.
- Always assume there is somebody smarter than you in the room. That way you will always learn something.
- Surround yourself with people at both a higher, equal and lower level than yourself.
- Engage in learning on a daily basis.
- Put the donut and cola down and instead pick up some fruit and water. You are what you eat.
- Learn a musical instrument like the piano or guitar when you are young.
- Learn a foreign language when you are young.
- Say something nice to your parents every day. The same goes for all those close to you in your life.
- reduce your internet footprint as much as you can.

and the biggest one.

- Delete your Facebook, Instragram, Twitter account immediately and never look back.

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
Here’s a weird one. I only recently got into watching YouTube. I really don’t care about the cult of celebrity or anything like that but I enjoy watching short videos on interesting subjects... much more useful at times when Netflix provides lengthy films and iPlayer with many long running TV shows. Great for breaks.

Before I forget tho! I watch a channel called Super Deluxe that’s kinda young and silly. There’s a show on it called Upgraded staring a woman called Jamie Loftus and a guy called Geoffrey King. In it they test out experimental beauty treatments and they’re such fun characters. In a recent ep Jamie was getting colonic irrigation with a spiritual edge to it. The therapist.... or poo sucker lady.... asked Jamie if she was stressed because she’s trying to help everyone around her, Jamie said yes, poo sucker replied with something like ‘you don’t have to help everyone’.

It was the weirdest moment to get a piece of great advice but I’ve really taken it in. Days are dark for many people and I’ve been stressed trying to help out friends and family that have been negatively impacted by current world events. My family is spread among the US, Europe, Australia. And with Donald Trump some of my family.... especially the poor ones.... are worried despite some originally supporting him. None of them support him now obviously. But trying to be a shoulder for them to cry on, offering financial support... it’s draining. And I realized I need to help myself too. I helped them open their eyes however, taught them what signs to look for and how to challenge bad leaders. My wife said I made them ‘woke’ but I have no idea what that means.

One can’t save everyone but it’s imperative to not be selfish or greedy.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
“You’re not required to set yourself on fire to keep the people around you warm”

A family member advising me to get into cryptocurrencies last year has so far been monumentally beneficial.

As for books...Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, and How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

A book which may be controversial to some, and I found a lot of value in, is The Afterlife of Billy Fingers.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I can’t point to any single piece of work. Despite being an atheist I think the essays and sermons of MLK were significant. And the works of Mary Oliver, Eaven Boland, Robert Hayden, and Pablo Neruda. Along side of these - my mother and the way she lived her life.

Reactions: LizKat

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Viktor Frankl’s “Man’s search for meaning.”

This is a must read. And I mean it. Everyone should read it, and ponder over it. It’s also quite short. It’s not religious, or spiritual. Frankl’s founded the third school of psychology, and in this book he narrates what he discovered as a nazi concentration camp survivor. It’s truly an amazing book, by an amazing person, about an amazing concept.
It is by far the most important book I’ve ever read.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Viktor Frankl’s “Man’s search for meaning.”

This is a must read. And I mean it. Everyone should read it, and ponder over it. It’s also quite short. It’s not religious, or spiritual. Frankl’s founded the third school of psychology, and in this book he narrates what he discovered as a nazi concentration camp survivor. It’s truly an amazing book, by an amazing person, about an amazing concept.
It is by far the most important book I’ve ever read.

An excellent book; my mother had it and I read it as a student.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Agreed. I’m currently reading through the entire Bible this year.
I skipped to the end.
We're all doomed. Except for:
Your name here.*
Offer is limited.
Restrictions may apply.

Offer revoked.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfgrad93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.