Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I like the presentation of iBooks on ipad, but i also was all my books and or magazines available when needed without needing to sync up at all.

Since my ipad is only 16GB, then that only leave the "cloud"

I do use dropbox, but would prefer to use iBooks.... Plus I may need to upgrade Dropbox since 2GB just won't be enough to hold my stuff.

Can iCould store PDF's/Book's or this sync only ?

Most are not available in the iTunes Store...

What would be the best way to do this?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
iBooks content is not synced via iCloud. Bookmarks and collections (aka folders) yes, but not actual content. I don't know if PDFs saved to iBooks are included in iTunes backups. I don't think they're included in iCloud backups.

My experience with saving 3rd party PDFs found on websites into iBooks has been less than ideal. Some PDFs can be emailed or printed from the iPad. Some can only be printed. Some but not all can be viewed in iTunes on a PC when connected for syncing (and are therefore saved onto the PC's local drive). The whole thing is maddeningly inconsistent.

I know it may end up costing, but if you require availabiity on multiple devices and assurance that your content is backed up, use Dropbox.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
I use my iPad 4 iBooks to load a lot of work pdf manuals and it is a problem not be able back these up in iCloud or iTunes. All that backs up is the folders with no content. I hope Apple changes this soon so I can have these linked on all my Apple products.:cool:

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I use a lot of PDFs as well, and have shied away from using iBooks with them. An app like GoodNotes will allow you to back up everything to dropbox or whatever cloud-based program you like to use.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
As i have just found out.... this is good for backup, but streming PDF's is too slow..

No one want to wait 5mins to download 3 Meg for a PDF mag. just to read it...

I think I'll just stick with local storage, its faster, but that will need i can only sync, here and there ....

nothing was ever that easy was it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.