Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mozz2020

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
UK
Hi all,

I am wondering if you have any suggestions for a budding video editor with regards to books/magazines or resources.

I have not had any formal education with video production but I have used the like of Premiere Pro CS4, After Effects CS4 to some extent for personal use.

I am looking to brush up on the foundations of capturing, managing and producing good video.

Do you have any staple text books or websites that you have found useful when you trained or that you use now.

Thanks for you help.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Adobe has some good tutorials of there own if you are planning on staying with their software. Adobe Forums are also a great place to ask questions. Some very smart people on the Adobe Forums that can provide you with help. Plus Adobe's own staff monitor the boards and assist.

lynda.com is a subscription based website that is purely based on learning. I used them on occasion and have found their tutorials very informative and easy to follow. They carry basic, intermediate and advanced courses in video.

mozz2020

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
UK
Thanks for the replies so far, I will take a look at that book, seems to have positive reviews.

I have used the Adobe site and Lynda's free tutorials over the years. I find they are very useful to learn the process of using the software but I am at a stage where I want to learn the do's and don't's of production; filming, composition and editing techniques. Typical workflows, creative ideas (or at least a starting point to develop those ideas), that sort of thing.

I have an audio background and one of my main resources has been the Sound On Sound magazine. It is excellent for giving the science behind audio production, helping to ensure sure that the sound you capture is of the best possible quality. It also helps with understanding where and when it is necessary to apply effects. Do you know if there is a video magazine that would be the equivalent of this?

Thanks again

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Thanks for the replies so far, I will take a look at that book, seems to have positive reviews.

I have used the Adobe site and Lynda's free tutorials over the years. I find they are very useful to learn the process of using the software but I am at a stage where I want to learn the do's and don't's of production; filming, composition and editing techniques. Typical workflows, creative ideas (or at least a starting point to develop those ideas), that sort of thing.

I have an audio background and one of my main resources has been the Sound On Sound magazine. It is excellent for giving the science behind audio production, helping to ensure sure that the sound you capture is of the best possible quality. It also helps with understanding where and when it is necessary to apply effects. Do you know if there is a video magazine that would be the equivalent of this?

Thanks again

nofilmschool offers insight into video making. I feel like it's aimed at beginning and aspiring video/film makers. Just check it out.

They also have a DSLR guide. I thought I knew most things, but it covers a lot of fields. It's also a very clear and simple guide. Just skip things you already know and read the parts you would like to know more about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.