books.app how to add ebooks?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mrkramer, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I jailbroke my iPod touch, using the web based jailbreak, and one of the apps that I installed was books.app. unfortunatly, other than the few books that are available through installer I can't figure out how to add other ebooks to it. could someone please tell me how to get them on?

2. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

install community sources 3.0 with your installer, then install ebooks program, after that you can select the books....very limited collection right now though, I have tarzan and the bible so far lol.....I would like the complete works of Harlan Ellison :)

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

Just to clairify I have the app already installed. What I want to know how to do is to connect to my iPod from my computer and put ebooks onto it from there that I have downloaded from other sources.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Once you've SFTP'd into your iPod, in the Media folder there should be a folder called eBooks.

5. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

I've decided not to dive in to deep as far as messing around with folders and code and so I am at the mercy of what is added to community sources,,,,,which I wish I felt more confident because I would really like to try the nes games....I guess those will never be on there though do to copyrights etc....maybe we should write nes and ask permission lol :)

6. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

How do I do that? I'm guessing that I do it through terminal but I'm not sure exactally how to do it. Thanks for your help.

7. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

1) Depending on if you use a Mac or a PC use:

Cyberduck (Mac)
    or
    WinSCP (PC)

2) Using installer.app, install OpenSSH on your iPod.

3) Open whatever program (cyberduck or WinSCP) you downloaded and set up a new connection using your iPod's IP address (found in settings/wifi) as the host name.
    User: root
    Password: alpine

4) Click login and it should open a connection to your iPod complete with file directory. Find the folder/directory you want and just drag and drop. Then restart iPod and you should have everything you need.

(yes I know this is posted in about a million different places but we all know how frustrating these things can be when people wont answer your questions)

I had the same trepidations as you but I decided to bite the bullet and just go for it this weekend and have learned quite a bit. It's really not that hard if you just spend some time on google searching for how to do it. Good luck!

8. 864646 macrumors regular

9. Qianlong macrumors regular

for some older books visit this link and choose the iPhone books.app format. these are in htm and will work with books.app. pdf are too heavy and will crash the books.app.

http://manybooks.net/

10. goldypoker macrumors member

I downloaded some interesting ebooks from this site, they were downloaded in the correct format as you stated in your post (iphone ebook app format), and they came as zip files.

....however, when unzipped, they appeared to be only 5k jpg "cover pics" (nothing else was extractable, the folder only showed the jpg file in it...)...no html or htm file to be seen.....am I missing something here?
    Where is the whole(?) ebook file to be SSHed into the appropriate folder on the touch??

11. xJay macrumors newbie

you can go to installer and add the source:

"markmon.mine.nu:90/iphone/repo/repo.plist"

then install Bigboss' NES Roms Pack 1 which has about 50 roms

(obviously need to install NES.app from installer first)

12. MargeSimpson macrumors member

thanks for manybooks.net website suggestion!

i've downloaded a sample book and can see all html files within?

13. goldypoker macrumors member

LOL..my mistake, my new computer didnt have winRAR instaled...I see them now.

Should they be placed in a folder prior to instalation on the touch? If so, any special formating concerns??

14. Lin macrumors member

15. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

thanks for that link, I've used it to get a few books on there.

16. CyanAether macrumors newbie

Which Media folder?

I can't find one where the documentation for Books.app specified... there are lots of directories on this thingy. :(

I found a Media folder in /private/var/mobile and tried putting "Ebooks" folder there and a simple text file called "dylan.txt" in there, but Books.app did not recognize it. :(

Please help!

17. CyanAether macrumors newbie

Never mind. :) The root specified in the documentation is correct.

It's just that my iPod Touch didn't HAVE a Media folder in /private/var/root (specified path). So I made one there (empty duh), and put Ebooks in it, with .txts in it.

Works like a charm. :)

18. EaCalendula macrumors newbie

19. Teppic macrumors newbie

I finally got the latest version of books.app to work with my 1.1.4 iPT
    1. Uninstall books.app
    2. Export any ebooks to the desktop or documents using CyberDuck
    3. Remove the "email" folder and contents in /private/var/root/media
    4. Install an ebook from the list. This creates a new ebooks folder.
    5. Install books.app (ver 1.4-r469)
    6. Opened Books and it found the ebook installed in 4. above.

The previous version of books.app looked for ebooks in:
    /private/var/root/media/ebooks

This version looks for ebooks in:
    /private/var/mobile/media/ebooks

I make subfolders in the ebooks folder to organize by author. Books.app will show the folders.

Cheers