Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Ok, here is my dilemma, under JB 1.1.2 everything was peachy and my books app could see my ebooks d/l from installer...
Well, today I got ambitious and upgraded to 1.1.4, ziphone j/b'd it and installed eveything again... now books.app will not see any of the ebooks I install, even its own... :mad:
I've been messing around for 4 hours on this... any ideas?:confused:

ps... books.app ver 1.4

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Heaps of people have reported this problem. Books.app needs updating for the newer firmwares. This is the only reason I haven't installed 1.1.3/4 yet.

chadtr

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
I'm having this problem on 1.1.1. I've installed and uninstalled every version thats in installer

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I STILL haven't fixed this problem after 2 months. Can't get it to work again as it always fails to locate my ebooks. The old version I had ages ago worked fine, but I had to go and update didn't I! I thought, after a couple of months, v1.5 may work...but it doesn't.

Always comes up with the same %$%ing message "/var/mobile/Media/EBooks doesn't appear to exist". GRRRRRRRR! IT DOES! IT DOES %^$£ING EXIST! I've tried every variation ie./var/root/Media/EBooks or mobile (via Cyberduck) but I still phail at life on this issue.

I'd be eternally grateful for someone to advise as I really miss the app.

/sobs

I've tried every version, old, new, BooksJ, they ALL show up the same error. I'm fairly savvy with such things and it really pains me that I still I haven't got it working again after all this time ;_;

I mainly use a Sony Reader for reading ebooks and manga, but the Touch is a nice pocket sized alternative if I don't want to cart around the (bigger, more fragile) Reader.

Teppic

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
I had this problem when I upgraded Books to 1.5-r523. This version looks for the files in /VAR/MOBILE/MEDIA/EBOOKS now. You can place them in this folder or a subfolder of your choice.

Hope this helps :apple:

mykdickson

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
fixed mine

Hi,

Hope this helps

I also had problems with the Books ver 1.5-r523...whenever i opened it, it showed access denied...and that i didn't have enough access rights to /var/mobile/media/ebooks...

Using winscp, i went to /var/mobile/Media and right click on EBooks and clicked on properties for the folder...in the permissions section, I ticked on all Rs, all Xs, and the W on owner. i can now access my ebooks just like before...

Attachments

• Books.JPG
    Books.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 107
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.