Books for Mac Programming

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by idevelopr, Jan 20, 2011.

1. idevelopr macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Looking for suggestions on books to get started with mac programming.I am training using .Net though havent been into professional development though.So,No problems with things like OOP concepts,etc.For this background,what do you think is the best book to get started.
    By the way the goal is to become a professional mac app developer in the next 3 to 6 months time.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Read the stickys at the top of the forum, particularly http://guides.macrumors.com/Cocoa_FAQ which has a section on books.

EDIT: Given your background, have you looked at Mono at all? e.g. http://monodevelop.com/

B

3. idevelopr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.I havent looked at Mono.Does it help in the learning process?

4. hayesk macrumors 65816

In my opinion, Aaron Hillegass' book is by far the best book to learn the Cocoa frameworks.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It lets you bring your .NET experience over to the Mac.

B

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for Big Nerd Ranch books. I LOVE those books but you will work for what you learn. (Thats a good thing).

7. BadWolf13 macrumors 6502

I've read Aaron Hillegaas' book, followed by Cocoa Programming by Daniel Steinberg. They're both good books, but I would definitely rate Steinberg's as the better book. Hillegaas is good at covering a lot of topics, but leaves a lot of things out, and unfortunately gets localization wrong. Steinberg explains things well, and organizes the book better, but unfortunately, he combines OSX and iOS programming into one book, so it can be confusing. Between the two of them, I've learned so much. If you're willing to buy two books, I'd recommend both, reading Hillegaas' book first.

8. idevelopr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks a lot.Suggestions for each of you have been useful.Im on look out for Hillegas book.