Books on Ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i-sidd, Apr 21, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I checked the ibook app and the books are priced very high. how is kindle app compared to ibooks?

Also can I hook up the ipad to my receiver to listen to streaming music?

Is there a way to play movies which are stored on my external harddrive to play on the ipad2.

I am planning to get the 32gb wifi only.

2. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

The one thing I like about the ipad is you can download the apps for Kindle books plus the nook ones. I prefer the kindle app but then I have had a kindle since 2008 so most of my 2000 books are kindle format. About the only difference between the ibook app and kindle is the ibook turns pages like you would with a real book and the kindle app doesn't. There is also a larger slection of books for the kindle app as opposed to the ibook or nook nd as a general rule they are cheaper. Dailycheapreads.com is a great site to check daily for books under $5. They list the freebies as well.

As for your movies, I think the only way you can watch them without storing them on your ipad is using either the Air Stash or using a cloud service. I had heard you could use the camera sd card connection adaptor but am not sure.

3. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Check out the Stanza App - it can read pdb, epub, pdf formats and there are many bookstores that you can purchase books from, allowing you to select the one with the best price. Some online book stores offer specials at different time, that is one of the reasons why I don't like an app like Kindle or iBooks, that ties me to one store.

Stanza is also one of the most highly configurable ereaders, allowing modifications to text appearance, page background colors, to name a few.

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I've been switching freely between iBooks and Kindle, depending on what I find in what store/format. I haven't checked out the Nook app yet, but I also have Google Books. I don't see any reason to tie myself down to one reader, really.

5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all the good info. I also had one more question about games and apps.

If u buy a game or app from the app store you can share it on multiple devices right? or do you need to buy for each of the devices.

Like buying games that can be played both on iphone and ipad.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

You can accomplish this by synching multiple devices to one computer or, the way I do it, by using the same account for all devices. That way you can download directly to each device from the App Store with no sync necessary.

7. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

The website says only for kindle, how can I use those on the ipad?

Also, does 16 gb mean really 14gb.

Also when you are outside your house, can you stream movies on your hard drive or laptop to the ipad?

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

That's the beauty of the iPad. You can choose whatever you want. I stick mostly with iBooks, but the Kindle app is pretty much the same--just not as cool looking.

Because you have the iPad, you have just about every ebook on just about every reader available. Just find the best price and buy that one. Sometimes I find that iBooks has something I want that Kindle doesn't and vice versa. Good idea to always check both.

9. deeddawg macrumors 603

Don't forget to check out OverDrive which allows you to access and read ebooks via your public library (if they support it).

Free >> Buying

Selection will vary depending on your library (and if they provide the service).

10. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

A new dilemma.... a verizon store near me had a couple of ipad 1 only 64gb wifi only for $499. Should I buy this or buy a 32gb Ipad 2.

11. laurenr macrumors 6502a

That verizon deal is really a great price! Try holding both the iPad 1 and 2, see if the difference in price is worth it to you, whether you notice other enhancements, such as speed, slimmer form factor, etc.

12. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just found out that the video mirroring is not available on the Ipad 1.

Do the owners of the ipad 1 have found a workaround this. Its getting harder, I want to play games, wife wants it for reading books and watching movies.

I though I could hook it up on my tv and play games and watch movies but now this info.

So I don't know if I should save money get the att 16gb refurb for $329 or $499 for the Ipad 2 16gb.