Books to learn HTML?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ComicStix, Aug 29, 2009.

1. ComicStix macrumors member

Anyone know some good books to learn HTML and CSS with? I have the basics down like the format of the page and bold and paragraphs and background colors, but I stink at tables. Anyone have a current book to suggest. I heard Sam's teach yourself HTML and CSS in 24 hours is a good book any thoughts?

2. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    First of all, using tables to shape your page is deprecated since... well... a long time ago :) So it's a good thing you stink at tables.

I don't know anything about that book, but most of the articles I get to read are against "24 hours, 1 day, 3 days, etc..." books. I'd recommend you have a look over Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML. It should give you a solid foundation to build on. But of course, a book is not enough. The more web sites you create, the more knowledge you gain.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't really need a book anyways. There are many, MANY online resources that are more in-depth, free, and have interactive examples.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I learned from the older version of this http://www.sitepoint.com/books/html2/ but I highley recommend it. Also if you like this book then many other sitepoint books the way they are written makes it enjoyable to read.

5. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I printed out all the lessons and literature on www.w3schools.com ;). And bought a book on CSS though I wouldn't recommend the book I purchased though, it's alright but I don't think it explains it well and has missing source code on it's site:mad:.

6. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yes, you can learn HTML/XHTML from W3Schools. As for CSS, you only need to understand a couple of concepts (the difference between CLASSES, IDs and TAGS), and all you'll need after that is a reference to point out all the CSS properties.

7. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

Both are the best answers.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Head First has a great series, Web Design and XHTML+CSS are some of their best books. the JavaScript one however is a little daunting.

that is how i learned

and you definitely need a book. unless you want to start copying and pasting your code and looking up help when you need it. definitely invest in a book.

9. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    I don't know, I learnt HTML and CSS from W3Schools as well, and I can say I know a little about how these things work :) But yes, JavaScript and PHP/SQL are too hard to be learnt from such a web site.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't modify the code in a book, nor make your own changes to see how it actually works. I don't really understand your argument, other than it's better to spend money when you don't actually have to for a hard copy when there are better resources available online.

11. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    I wouldn't say this. There's a difference between learning HTML and CSS, and learning how to use HTML and CSS (together) in a nice manner. It takes some time to do it by yourself, and I think, although have never tried it :), that it's faster to do it by reading a well-written book.

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Whether you start learning from a book or a web site, you don't truly understand what you learn until you practice it and make a web site with what you learn. That's when the real learning begins. I have a couple books, but never reference them. I know how to find answers faster on the web than a book index. But use the methods that work best for you.

13. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Agreed, things really start to get going when you put it into practice and a simple little dot out of place wreaks havoc on your design.

14. rekhyt macrumors 65816

We don't use tables anymore?!?!? I was just about to learn it! I was... Always meaning to... Well, 2 years ago. :| Stuff like this is so hard. >.< Content is 100% easier. ... Make that 250.

Is the new way of styling and formatting with div and CSS?

15. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Correct buddy, it's all changed and browsers are changing and css is standard on everything now. In a few years it will be easy, you may hear of debugging and things like that.
    That's where there are little problems dealing with old browsers that were only at the beginning of css. Soon it will be easier when these old browsers will be truly outlawed and be so much easier in a few years:).

16. ComicStix thread starter macrumors member

Don't need a book I am going to try to switch my high school elective so I can take HTML I Thanks for the help guys!

17. tuxbrita macrumors newbie