Books to Movies...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Why are they so often so horribly screwed? I just watched Eragon... 50% of that movie didn't even happen at all in the book! I can list off countless others. It cant be that hard, all the detail is put in the book. :confused:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That's the problem, there isn't enough time in 2-3 hour movie to incorporate everything contained in a book, so things are cut out. Also, screenwriters may choose to modify certain plot points to make the more exciting for movie goers (for example, the book may have a secondary character do something cool and the film version may change it so that the primary character is now the one that does it, thus making him seem like a bigger hero.)

3. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I just see them as separate entities, unrelated to each other but still somewhat similar. It's better than coming out of each movie saying "OMGWTFBBQTELETUBBY!!! Teh b00k was l33t but the m00vee was teh pwnage!"

5. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

^^
    Nice way to think about it, I think I'll take that stance. Though I kind of liked the movie being completely different cuas I had no clue what was going on.

6. Motley macrumors 6502

I was originally peeved at the The Bourne Identity vs the book. I later learned to enjoy it for what it was, just another popcorn flick that happens to share the title and some character names from a book.

You want to see angry people, ask big comic book fans what they thought of Spiderman 3 :D

7. kristiano macrumors regular

Biggest disappointment ever would be the transfer of my favorite book ever, Prozac Nation, into film.

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I take it as the screenwriter steals the idea from a book and just gives a casual reference to avoid being sued.