Books

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, May 22, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

How many people on here buy books ? How many per year ? How many books do you have ? What do you do with them once read ?

Im 40, and have always been a big book person. At the moment Ive got boxes and boxes that contain hundreds of books ive bought since I was very young. I know that I wont ever read most of them again....Being at a point in my life where I know that I need to rid myself of some my possesions (cant keep it all forever, or carry it around forever), Im finding it pretty hard to get rid of many of these.

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Buy them still. New and used. We have a place called Half Price Books (are they all over?) that's great. Some we treasure and keep forever, some we sell back to Half Price Books or donate to charity when we're finished.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Where do you live? I'll take some! I'm a high school English teacher, and I like to build my library. Know they will be used.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I buy probably 1-2 hardcovers a month on average. I'm actually packing to move, and I have about 16-17 ream-of-paper-size boxes of predominantly hardcovers. Mix of fiction, non-fiction, work-related, etc. Books are one of the greatest investments in oneself available. :)

5. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

around 12 books a month, give or take. They range in size from novella to big novels..

I'm a fast reader which is why I'm able to get so much reading done. Honestly, I would read more if I didn't have school and such :p.

(PS - almost all of what I read is Science Fiction and Horror)

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

about 15-20 books per month.

50/50 between academic and pure fiction.

have over 3,600 on my shelves.

7. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I've been trying to cut back my book buying - I love them so much, I just have no more places to put them...so, I recently sold a bunch to make room for new ones, and I'm trying to remind myself that I should visit the library more, instead of buying everything! Of course, there's a wonderful used bookstore across from my place, which is always very tempting!

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Per year it varies. Currently, from Jan to now, I have bought 15 books. All read by the way ;)

9. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I normally read a book as soon as I buy it and don't buy another until I've finished the last one I bought.

My wife on the other hand, buys around 4-5 a week. not an empty bookshelf in the house. Last time she counted them there was around 1,000.

10. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I buy books, probably around 30 a year. I don't actually own very many, though, because once I'm through with them I sell them on amazon.com... and then use the money to buy more books!

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have books, but I'm a bit too embarrassed to tell you how many/few books I own at the moment.

I'd read more often if I wasn't doing my PhD right now. I'll prove it by graduating and reading for leisure.

12. remmy macrumors 6502a

Depends if the local library has what I am looking for otherwise I may search for it to buy on the internet. I read to quick sometimes. Got given Exit Music by Ian Rankin from my girlfriends mother and read it in just a few days.

13. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

How many per year ?

I buy somewhere between 30-40 books a year.

How many books do you have ?

I have probably 500 on the shelves right now.

What do you do with them once read ?

I tend to keep most of my books, so it looks like I'll be adding a few more book shelves in the future.

14. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I buy about a dozen books per year but my list has at least two dozen that I want to buy. I'm particular about books--I try to buy ones with handsome old-fashioned bindings as much as I can. I found a copy of The Brothers Karamozov from 1949 bound in cloth for only nine dollars and I picked it up immediately. I'll even go so far as to buy a book again if I find a copy with a binding that I like.

Right now I'm halfway through Anna Karenina. I got lost in it last night when I started reading so that I didn't get to bed until three o'clock!

Delicious Library 2 say that I have sixty-six books right now, but that's partly because I'm trying to put a moratorium on book purchases until I've read everything that's on my shelves. I'm trying to build up a library of classic literature and also a good library of seminal theological works (hopefully I'll find a copy of Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion soon).

In general, I look for opportunities to lend out the books that I own as much as possible (which is why I choose to buy rather than go to the library). Right now I've got three books and a video game out on loan.

15. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I'm pretty lazy about reading. I used to read a lot of theology books, mainly on Presbyterianism and Calvinism, but I exhausted the list of all those I wanted to read. I read technical material a lot, now.

Right now I'm almost done reading a book about "ijime" (bullying) in schools (in Japan). It's called いじめの光景 (Ijime no Koukei). When I finish that, I want to read some fiction.I just don't take enough time to read, choosing to dabble in my video editing, on messageboards, or play Halo or something.

Besides, after working a whole day, I just feel like doing something outwardly fun. Reading is fun for me, but it takes a little effort to get started.

Oh, but I do read my Bible, so that keeps me "reading" at least. :cool:

16. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

When I'm in school (university) I don't pleasure read, but on breaks I'll read a book every day or every other day. I keep them all at my house, and I buy all of them at Barnes and Noble. I was thinking of getting a Kindle, but I think having books is a good thing so you can give them to people or just see what you've "accomplished".

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I love to read, It's one of my favorite pastimes. But it's hard to find a book that can really capture my attention, so I end up reading maybe one 500 page book a month, which I finish in a few hours. :( Plus, I don't have much money to buy books with, and the library is too far to walk, though I'm trying to convince my parents to let me ride my bike there.

I probably have somewhere around 100 books total.

18. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Books? Everyone knows reading makes you go blind.

19. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

There is also digital books. I have 7 of them, all star trek. They are in MS Reader format, but with a nifty little program, I was able to convert them to PDF so I could read them on my Mac. At the point, no there is no Mac program for that :(

20. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Don't buy books as much as I used to. I had boxes and boxes of books but when I moved out of my mom's place I had no room for them so I gave them away or threw them out. I'm seriously considering a Kindle, that would save lots of space.

21. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I switch books with friends and family. Or I'll borrow from the library. Just recently I've been buying books to keep though. But I need a better bookshelf and better organizational skills to keep them all orderly so I don't know how many I have at the moment.

Currently I'm reading: Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore
    I bought it a while ago and just currently started to get into it

22. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I don't read that often because I find it hard for me to find books that keep my attention. I only like non-fiction books and they have to interest me. I really wish I read more though.

I probably have 100 books all about random things.

23. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't possess many books. I've been working for my local library for two years so I got all my "stuff" there :D
    Now, my boyfriend is my main source. He has loads of books I want to read (four of them piled up next to me right now).

24. shecky Guest

shecky

700+ books, 75% of which are art/design/architecture/photography

and because i am a designer, they are all a write-off come tax time :)

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I get about 1 or 2 books a year as gifts. I can't read much though. I get terrible floaty bits infront of my eyes. Screens are okay since the font is larger and theres a greater contrast. Wish I could fix this really :eek: